How To Make Glace Icing Whiter

Baking By ecrandal Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 3:57pm by drakegore

ecrandal Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:13am
post #1 of 6

We just began using Toba Garrett's glace icing recipe and decorating cookies with the outline/flood method (is there a name for that?) but the white is rather 'transparent. Does anyone know of or use something to make the white more opaque (whiter)? Thanks so much!

5 replies
kneadacookie Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 11:42am
post #2 of 6

they do have a brite white food coloring. not only does it make the icing whiter, but it helps take care of the color "fogging" that sometimes can happen. if you add a couple of drops when you are mixing your icing, it will make all your colors brighter.
btw...recently ordered cutters from you. LOVE the craftsmanship. i reccomend them to everyone.
love the owl cookies!

GeminiRJ Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 6

Definitely use the brite white (Americolor brand is fantastic). I use five drops for every 1 cup of powdered sugar that I use. Also, you can thicken the icing with more powdered sugar, and that will help, too. The great thing about this icing is its versatility. All the cookies in my gallery are decorated with it. I thank kneadacookie for turning me onto the possibilities of this icing...her cookie decorating skills are phenomenal!

drakegore Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 6

i would suggest that you use the americolor brite white that gemini recommends and not the wilton. the wilton version doesn't seem to work as well (or at least it does not for me). the wilton brite white has affected my icing's texture.

ecrandal Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you all for the advice! Where are you getting your supplies?
I'm not familiar with the Americolor products.

drakegore Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 6

americolor is usually only found in cake/candy making stores or online.
almost every online cake shop carries it.
countrykitchensa . com or carry it.
the downside is the shipping usually costs more than the color if that is all you are buying, so search around and see if you can find a good deal on shipping. fondantsource . com used to have really good shipping deals but it looks like they have increased (but if you use the code "cakecentral" when checking out, you do get a 10% discount.
again, it is carried by just about all of them, so go for where you get the best shipping deal.

here is americolor's website:

Quote by @%username% on %date%