Need Help Quick :(

Decorating By hobbymommy Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 4:26am by Texas_Rose

hobbymommy Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:22am
post #1 of 3

Plan A was a 3 (a 4th if time permitted) tiered 10", 8", 6" round. I'm also doing dipped strawberries & adding some grapes. Well, just a while ago, while icing the top tier (they're all separate/not assembled) it FELL ON THE FLOOR! I was NOT HAPPY!!!

Plan B : either a 16" round or 12" square for the bottom underneath my 10" & 8" in. rounds (4 in./each). If I do the the bottom in only a single 2 in. layer, will it be able to hold the the 2 - 4" in tall tiers on top of it? Or would I need dowels? I have some, but nothing around to cut them straight with.

I think if I went w/Plan B, I'd have more room for the berries & the grapes. I like this idea better, but am hesitant to do just a 2" in. layer???? Cake is due tomorrow before noon.

SAHMommy to Madison (9, HLHS), Natalie (5, Healthy), Neveah (1, renal dysplasia - transplant soon - YEAH!), & 1 angel (m/c on 11/15/0icon_cool.gif

2 replies
Loucinda Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:26am
post #2 of 3

It would be easier to rebake the 6" than to do a 12", IMO. And no matter what sizes you use, if you are stacking those cakes, they need some dowels for support.

A 2" layer would look fine, but you will still have to dowell it. NO cake will support 2 tiers above without supports.

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:26am
post #3 of 3

You would definitely need dowels. You need them for the 10" too if the 8" is going on top of it.

A 16" takes a ton of ingredients and it may not come out as tall as you're thinking either, plus it's going to take longer to bake and it's already the middle of the night. So why don't you just rebake the 6". If think you might need more servings and that's why you wanted to do the 16", you could make a 9x13 kitchen cake just in case.

Quote by @%username% on %date%