Help! Book Cake Without Using Fondant

Decorating By marniek Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 8:37pm by StefanieLRyan

marniek Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:05am
post #1 of 7

I have some one that wants a book cake, but does not want fondant used as the cover. She wants it all in buttercream. How do I get the effect of the edges of the book cover being further out from the pages when using buttercream? Help!!

6 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:07am
post #2 of 7

You might just have to tell her that it has to be fondant...or frost a board and use that for the book cover. Personally, I'd opt for telling her it had to be fondant and that she could just peel it off before serving if she didn't like it.

varika Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:14am
post #3 of 7

Tell her it's a paperback and don't bother.

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:16am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Tell her it's a paperback and don't bother.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

JGMB Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 7

Here's a really cute example of one:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1403055

Maybe you could use an icing comb.

Steelgoddess Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 7

I think you can get buttercream very smooth, however not as smooth as fondant...

Fwiw, Im not a lover of fondant so am making a fondant cake with buttercream underneath, have you suggested this? Or is it just the fondant as a overall thing they dont want
xx

StefanieLRyan Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 7

I made a book for my mother's book club...and not only did I not use fondant, but unfortunately, it was carrot cake so I had to use cream cheese frosting, which made it even more difficult to get smooth and define edges.

I put the book cover frosting on quite thick (but not so thick it didn't keep it's form) and then to make the pages, I used a serated tip and filled in the empty space. The book cover frosting protuded just enough so that when I used the serated tip to make the "page" effect (which I did thin and held the tip very close to the cake), it actually looked 3-D.

I know it sounds confusing, but I hope it helps! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%