Cakes Coming Out In Diameters!!!!!! Help!!!

Decorating By IDoCakesinTX Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 2:15pm by IDoCakesinTX

IDoCakesinTX Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:28am
post #1 of 11

Here's the problem:

same pan
same recipe
same oven temp......

When I stack my cakes (usually 3 layers)....they are not matching up. I know it has a little to do w/ shrinkage from the pan....I don't level my cakes b/c until I have a decent leveler such as agbay...I'm just not brave enough.

This has been/is an ongoing problem for me. Does this make sense? I didn't take a pic and I already carved down the sides b/c no amount of BC would fix this problem.

I feel like I make great cakes and my skills are improving, but from day 1 this has been a problem. I'm ready to get past this!!!

10 replies
madgeowens Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:33am
post #2 of 11

what temp, you baking at?

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:34am
post #3 of 11

I have had that happen before, usually with the bigger ones. I think it's because I don't follow a set time for all the layers, just check them when I smell cake, and overbaking can make a layer shrink.

Shaving down the sides is exactly the way to fix it, when it does happen.

alene Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:37am
post #4 of 11

Don't know what brand of pans you are using but I'd suggest investing in some good quality pans. Will make a big difference.

redpanda Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:56am
post #5 of 11

Something to check--do you always stack the layers with the same side up (e.g., the side that was up in the pan or the side that was against the bottom of the pan)? If so, your pans may not have straight sides, and instead have the bottom a little smaller than the top. This will mean that when you stack, the upper layer will always be a wee bit smaller than the top of the lower layer.

This is especially true with pans that are made to allow for two pans of the same size to nest for storage.

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:01am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda

Something to check--do you always stack the layers with the same side up (e.g., the side that was up in the pan or the side that was against the bottom of the pan)? If so, your pans may not have straight sides, and instead have the bottom a little smaller than the top. This will mean that when you stack, the upper layer will always be a wee bit smaller than the top of the lower layer.

This is especially true with pans that are made to allow for two pans of the same size to nest for storage.

Ohh, that's a good point.

I figured out one day why I hated 8" cakes. It was because my pans were 8" on bottom and 9" on top. I threw them out that day icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:04am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda

Just what I was thinking. icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:17am
post #8 of 11

I use Fat Daddios & run into this problem too. Mine are slightly smaller at the top of the cake. It's like from the middle of the layer up they shrink, but from the middle of the layer to the bottom of the pan they don't. It's maybe 1/8" shrinkage, which I would prefer, but I usually have to trim down the bottom 1/2 of the layer

Loucinda Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:34am
post #9 of 11

MAGIC LINE!!! Did I say how much I love these pans?

dandelion56602 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:55am
post #10 of 11

Yeah, I can't get them right now though. I must say I've had it happen in the 1 ML I do own, but don't know if square makes a difference.

(Oh, I do bake at 325)

IDoCakesinTX Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:15pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for all your replies gals.

I have all magic line except for this ONE pan icon_sad.gificon_mad.gif So, I think that plays a part for sure...it's Wilton thumbsdown.gif

I baked at 320 for all the layers, but the time was prob. different.

I'll KUP on my progress.....(sigh).....hopefully I'll get my agbay and magic line missing pans from Santa this year icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%