9.4.09 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 11:42pm by cakesbycathy

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:37am
post #31 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

I do have a question about ganache...I've made it lots of times...but for the wedding on Monday, they want raspberry chocolate ganache. I got LorAnn (sp?) Oil - Raspberry...can I make the ganache & add some of that to it? Any clue how much??

Yup, that'll work just fine. I just made some raspberry truffles this week, and they came out great. I just added it a drop or two at a time until it tasted raspberry-y enough. icon_wink.gif Good luck!

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:38am
post #32 of 55

I am in the middle of the baby shower cake from hell.. still have to make 50 cuppies for my MIL and work on some more gumpaste jungle animals

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:43am
post #33 of 55

I'm still seeking inspiration/stressing over the design on this Christening I have to do in two weeks. I wanted to use cloud pans, but you have to buy them in a set, and the cheapest set I saw was $175. As much as I love my family, I don't love them enough to spend that much money on pans for a gift cake.

I hate sheet cakes, and refuse to do one. This cake is only for 40 people, but most of them are cake eaters, so think more like 60. I want to do a stack, 2 tier, with a baby in a cradle on top.

Oh, well, I shall keep searching.

See y'all tomorrow!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:43am
post #34 of 55

SJ, I was just reading your thread...I'm sorry for your aggrevation but your post did make me chuckle(I do understand your frustration).

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:46am
post #35 of 55

all4cake lol yes funny now...at the time omg i wanted to lay down on the floor stomp my feet and cry! jesh! ...i mean its not even a paid cake its for my mothers friends baby shower..my wine is calming me down...i always work a little better after a drink! haha

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:47am
post #36 of 55

ohh I hope I'm not too late. I so rarely get to join in.

I'm baking cookies for a 19 year old woman serving in Afganistan.

I'm doing: chocolate whoopie pies, red velvet cake balls, spice molassas cookies, and cowgirl cookies if I can find pink M and M's

at 19 I was in college and my biggest problem was frizzy hair........... I so admire this young woman I just wann fill her with cookies. icon_lol.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:49am
post #37 of 55

Is she coming home or are you mailing the cookies?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:50am
post #38 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

ohh I hope I'm not too late. I so rarely get to join in.

I'm baking cookies for a 19 year old woman serving in Afganistan.

I'm doing: chocolate whoopie pies, red velvet cake balls, spice molassas cookies, and cowgirl cookies if I can find pink M and M's

at 19 I was in college and my biggest problem was frizzy hair........... I so admire this young woman I just wann fill her with cookies. icon_lol.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:50am
post #39 of 55

I'm mailing them as part of Operation Baking Gals

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:00am
post #40 of 55

loucinda.. i got interested in the gelantin flowers , etc. reading the thread you were on.. got me some stuff at the convention and also ordered from diane.. anyway.. our fair is oct 14-25.. i have had good luck for some years winning blue ribbon and best of show several times. gonna try again this year. usually.. it isn,t a wedding cake.. i like to make animals, people,etc. .. but changed up a little bit this year. wish me luck.. i wish you luck too.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:11am
post #41 of 55

Icer101 - this is my very first time entering the fair. I know there aren't any people here in my area playing in the gelatin, so I am hoping that will be a hit. I won't do the flowers, since I don't want the wires for this cake, I am doing some bows and butterflies though. I am hoping they don't take points off for me doing the dummies in fondant. (do they do that??)

I also want to make some broaches for the other cake - I have made the jems for the centers, I will use fondant pearls and dragess for the rest of them. Hopefully my grand plans work out! icon_wink.gif

Diane is soo sweet - and I love the gelatin stuff - so unique! I haven't had time to play with all my new toys from convention yet. I need to get busy here - the fair is in 2 weeks......

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:15am
post #42 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I'm still seeking inspiration/stressing over the design on this Christening I have to do in two weeks. I wanted to use cloud pans, but you have to buy them in a set, and the cheapest set I saw was $175. As much as I love my family, I don't love them enough to spend that much money on pans for a gift cake.

I hate sheet cakes, and refuse to do one. This cake is only for 40 people, but most of them are cake eaters, so think more like 60. I want to do a stack, 2 tier, with a baby in a cradle on top.

Oh, well, I shall keep searching.

See y'all tomorrow!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

All that searching for the pans icon_razz.gif

Could you use oval pans and then carve out a bit from the sides?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:26am
post #43 of 55

loucinda.. we can ice with buttercream. fondant, etc. different categories. we have to choose from.. it is on our registration form.. your cake sounds really beautiful.. can,t wait to see picture. hope you win. i did choose some hard flowers. but sometimes .. that is what wins. we can,t just make some kind of cake. we have to put a lot of thought into it.. to try to beat the one coming out with something really great. ha!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:28am
post #44 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

All that searching for the pans icon_razz.gif

Could you use oval pans and then carve out a bit from the sides?

I could, but with the time frame I have that week, it would have been hours easier to just bake them off in the shape I needed. I have to commute to NYC three days that week, so I wanted to avoid as much work as possible.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:30am
post #45 of 55

On our regisration it didn't have anything about what it would be iced with -that is what worries me. icon_sad.gif If nothing else, I will have 2 nice dummies for my wedding portfolio! thumbs_up.gif

I wish you luck too! We'll have to post pics when we are done......hopefully with ribbons! icon_biggrin.gif

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 5:39am
post #46 of 55

Good luck in the fairs! I can't wait to see pics! I'm going to clean up a little then I'm out of here! The race car cake came out bad @$$! The cupcakes will get iced in the morning...Night all

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 5:55am
post #47 of 55

I only had 3 small cakes this week- last one was picked up at 5pm today(well yesterday now, lol). I guess this was a slower week b/c of the holiday???? Next week's slow too... But the last 2 wks this month are gonna KILL me! Anyone else have this feast/famine type prob?

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 9:06am
post #48 of 55

nothing for me tonight though i did turn down one which was supposed to be a cruise ship/travel theme with one day's notice - man i wonder why i turned that down !!! instead i had a lovely early night with my hubby....

now have to get my ass in gear this weekend and make 200 hydrangeas and roses for a massive cupcake tower for the following weekend - Repetitive Strain Injury!!

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:16am
post #49 of 55

leah_s, why is it important that the cake freezer be non self-defrosting? Does the self-defrosting type blow too much air?

I was out looking at freezers just this week - you may have saved me from myself!

Thanks.

leah_s Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 11:11am
post #50 of 55

grand - the self-defrosting freezers eliminate the frost by cycling the temp up and down. You want the cake to get frozen and stay frozen, not partially thaw, refreeze, repeat.

|
|
V
siggy

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 11:17am
post #51 of 55

How on earth do you know all this?? That makes perfectly good sense, but I never would have thought about it. Thanks!

leah_s Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:51pm
post #52 of 55

I'm ooooold.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:11pm
post #53 of 55

Thank you djs! icon_smile.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:18pm
post #54 of 55

I have 4 wedding cakes, 2 christening cakes, four kid birthday cakes and 200 cuppies (swirl and sprinkles).

whew.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 11:42pm
post #55 of 55

So now that it's Saturday night icon_rolleyes.gif

Stayed up until 4:45am working on one of the cakes. Turns out okay except there is a definite back to the cake. Think this is okay until I get to the hall to set up and the cake table is in the middle of the room. icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

Woke up at 8am to work on the other cake. Redid the bottom tier three times. It looked okay once I got the roses on it. Knowing the groom though I am not going to be surprised when he complains and asks for (make that demands) a refund.

While I was delivering my dad's wife who was watching my kids called to say that DS fell and knocked out his front tooth. His mouth is totally swollen and where the tooth was knocked out looks gross. He is in pain apparently the tylenol is not helping icon_sad.gif

Basically I want to crawl up in a ball and cry myself to sleep.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%