Castle Cake

Decorating By SandiOh Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 12:05pm by SandiOh

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:26am
post #1 of 8

I need to make a little girls castle cake, is the wilton castle kit worth it? are the parts reusable? is there a better way to do it? any advice would be appreciated.

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:29am
post #2 of 8

Well I have made several castle cakes using the decopac kit but not the wilton.Personally I don't like all the plastic towers.It is reusable but I wouldn't waste the money.Make your towers from papertowel tubes and roll fondant around them.Make the top turrets from Ice cream sugar cones covered with royal icing.I have also made a castle cake using the pringle potato chip containers for towers.

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 8

i have a castle pic on my flickr, see below for link, i can help if you need any advice on how-to icon_smile.gif

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 8

I made my towers using RKT. I just inserted a skewer to the tower and attached it to the cake. I used ice cream cones as well for tower tops (with royal icing).

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 8

I used ice cream cones for the towers and the turrets. Cake cones end-to-end for the towers with sugar cones for the turrets. You can see it in my pix. Good luck with whatever you choose to do...the little girl will be thrilled no matter what you do.

Steelgoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steelgoddess Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 8

What about cutting square cakes up? also using icecream cones as the towers and spraying with Glitter edible spray and sprinkles etc...

x

SandiOh Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 11:24am
post #7 of 8

we are debating right now whether we want a "whimsical" type castle, or a wilton-type castle. mom wants a "disney- princess" castle (the one that comes in the decopac kit), but they also want a 12-9-6 layers. so not sure what to do with that.
thank you sugar sugar gal for the offer....I might be PMing you later icon_lol.gif

SandiOh Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:05pm
post #8 of 8

I did end up using the wilton kit. not so sure I'll ever use it again. The directions state to put melted chocolate on the end of the turret and place a candy stick on the end and then insert in cake...which is laughable....it broke off anyways. the cake transportted horribly because of it.
next time I'm making my own turrets that I will be able to anchor better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%