A Wedding Mag Article That Actually Makes Sense!

Business By costumeczar Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 11:03pm by indydebi

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 14

There's an article about what DIY weddings actually cost in the new Modern Bride, and they followed one girl who did pretty much everything other than the catering. With a couple of warnings about certain things to watch out for, she said that she'd do everything herself again if she had to do it over, except for the cake. She said that SHE would probably do it again because she was stubborn, but that there really was no cost savings once she paid for supplies ($175) and all of her trial runs ($175). For her total cost, $350, she said to hire a professional! icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:02am
post #2 of 14

BRAVO-finally someone who owns up and realizes it's not "just cake" and harder than it looks icon_smile.gif hopefully the word spreads

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:38am
post #3 of 14

Too funny & so happy to hear!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:06pm
post #4 of 14

link?

costumeczar Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:11pm
post #5 of 14

It's in the actual magazine, I couldn't find a link to their site online.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 14

http://www.brides.com/modernbride/

Do you know the name of the article?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:27pm
post #7 of 14

I knew that I phrased that incorrectly...I know what their website is, but the article isn't on it, it's in the hard copy magazine (You all remember those, right? They had them before the internet? They're made of this stuff called paper?icon_smile.gif )

There is another article on the website that says similar things, though. http://www.brides.com/planning/budget/feature/article/169936

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:29pm
post #8 of 14

There's no reason for that sarcasm, I was just trying to help.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:30pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Just being funny, no sarcasm intended. That's what the smiley face is for. I just think it's funny that we all expect there to be a link to everything now. Too much time spent online...

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 8:20pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Just being funny, no sarcasm intended. That's what the smiley face is for. I just think it's funny that we all expect there to be a link to everything now. Too much time spent online...

I got it .. and chuckled. I love it when I tell my kids (9 and 7) that we actually had to get up and change the channel on the tv (and rotate the antenna, which was on the roof) ... and use a rotary to dial the phone ... and it was attached to the wall ... etc. icon_rolleyes.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 8:44pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:

I knew that I phrased that incorrectly...I know what their website is, but the article isn't on it, it's in the hard copy magazine (You all remember those, right? They had them before the internet? They're made of this stuff called paper?icon_smile.gif )

There is another article on the website that says similar things, though. http://www.brides.com/planning/budget/feature/article/169936

Too funny!!!! thumbs_up.gif

tporbz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tporbz Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 8:50pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellesArt

BRAVO-finally someone who owns up and realizes it's not "just cake" and harder than it looks icon_smile.gif hopefully the word spreads

Hear hear! I had someone tell me recently (while attempting to order a cake with 24hrs notice): "it looks really easy so you should be able to manage it"! It was a 3d yacht cake!

costumeczar Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:23pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

Quote:

Quote:

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I got it .. and chuckled. I love it when I tell my kids (9 and 7) that we actually had to get up and change the channel on the tv (and rotate the antenna, which was on the roof) ... and use a rotary to dial the phone ... and it was attached to the wall ... etc. icon_rolleyes.gif

We just cleaned out my inlaws' house where they'd lived for 50+ years, apparently without throwing anything away. I found my kids in the basement, playing with a "rare and exotic item" that they found...It was a rotary phone! They both said they'd NEVER seen one before! icon_surprised.gif They brought it home, and now their friends come over and dial it, too. They're all transfixed by that thing!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 11:03pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:

We just cleaned out my inlaws' house where they'd lived for 50+ years, apparently without throwing anything away. I found my kids in the basement, playing with a "rare and exotic item" that they found...It was a rotary phone! They both said they'd NEVER seen one before! icon_surprised.gif They brought it home, and now their friends come over and dial it, too. They're all transfixed by that thing!

We alway say that the question will be on a Trivial Pursuit game someday: "Why do we say "dial" a phone?" Our kids will have no idea.

Youngest daughter saw a record player (in an antique mall!) when she was little and said, "LOok! A big CD player!"

My husband actually wrote about this on his blog: http://philerup.blogspot.com/ (The one posted 8-2-09 entitled "Things my Grandchildren Will Only Hear About"). His whole blog is about where words and phrases come from.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%