Real Cake With Dummy Tiers

Decorating By manomi Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 5:12am by dandelion56602

manomi Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,
I have been searching CC for the answer,but I have been through numerous posts and haven't found the answer to this. Have been asked to make a Wedding cake for a friend. She wants 5 tiers, 16-14-12-10-8. All the tiers would be dummies except for the top 8 inch layer which would be real cake. I plan to cover all the tiers with fondant. I plan to order the dummies with rounded corner so am planning to put the by just spraying the dummies with water. My questions:
1- To attach the dummies with each other, do I just use Royal icing?
2-How to attach the top tier( real cake?) Do I just use Royal icing to attach that too?
3-Can I transportt the assembled cake? Or atleast just the dummies assembled? Will put the real tier when I go to the site. Or is it better to assemble it on site?

Thanks a lot in advance icon_smile.gif

7 replies
jammjenks Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by marianauman

Hi,
I have been searching CC for the answer,but I have been through numerous posts and haven't found the answer to this. Have been asked to make a Wedding cake for a friend. She wants 5 tiers, 16-14-12-10-8. All the tiers would be dummies except for the top 8 inch layer which would be real cake. I plan to cover all the tiers with fondant. I plan to order the dummies with rounded corner so am planning to put the by just spraying the dummies with water. My questions:
1- To attach the dummies with each other, do I just use Royal icing?
2-How to attach the top tier( real cake?) Do I just use Royal icing to attach that too?
3-Can I transportt the assembled cake? Or atleast just the dummies assembled? Will put the real tier when I go to the site. Or is it better to assemble it on site?

Thanks a lot in advance icon_smile.gif

1. yes, or buttercream. Whatever you have made.
2. same as #1
3. Yes. It will travel just fine assembled. I used dummy displays, joined with bc between the tiers, for a festival last fall. I drove them home in the back of my truck (they'd been outside and gotten dusty so couldn't reuse the decorations anyway) and they stayed together. The fake flowers flapped in the breeze going 60 mph, but the dummies never budged. It was quite a sight. icon_biggrin.gif

manomi Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:02am
post #3 of 8

Thanks for the reply icon_smile.gif Just wanted to make sure that I don't need the dowels or any other support for the top tier.

jammjenks Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:51am
post #4 of 8

Nope. No dowels are needed. This will be the easiest stacking job ever.

Marianna46 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:15am
post #5 of 8

This seems like a lot of show for such a small amount of cake. No criticism intended, I'm just curious... Do you know the story behind it?

manomi Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:58am
post #6 of 8

No,I m not sure. Even I was surprised because she sent me a picture of a 4 tiered cake and wanted a 5 tier one. But anyways, whatever the bride wants icon_smile.gif!

Marianna46 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 5:02am
post #7 of 8

That's for sure!

dandelion56602 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 5:12am
post #8 of 8

You can also use melted chocolate to hold the tiers together.

Is this a freebie? You're doing a lot of work & remember you still have to decorate (even if you can do it in advance) & decorating is what people charge for. Is she not having other desserts? just cake for her? That's definitely interesting

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%