Three Tiered , Pillared Sponge W/fruitcake... Help!

Decorating By macnabart Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 1:22am by JanH

macnabart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macnabart Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 2

Hi,
I am making a three tiered, sponge cake with pillars in between the tiers.
The recipe I'm following suggests stacking the cakes with OUT pillars, although doesn't say whether its possible to stack them with pillars; the base layer is chocolate sponge, middle layer lemon sponge and top layer fruit cake. I read somewhere that a tradition is for the happy couple to keep the top layer of cake for their 1st anniversary.. so it's definitely going to be in that order.. I'm a bit nervous that the sponge cakes will give way or be harder to stack . What if the dowel rods slip or break the cake etc.
If anyone has done this type of cake before I'd be very grateful for any advice!
Many thanks,

:0)

1 reply
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:22am
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnabart

Hi,
The recipe I'm following suggests stacking the cakes with OUT pillars, although doesn't say whether its possible to stack them with pillars..

Pillars are just one style of cake support. You can stack your cakes safely using cakeboards and dowels.

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188.html

See info on cake assembly which has a link to illustrated common cake support systems. Indydebi also has an illustrated guide to cutting level cake dowels.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%