Foam Boards...few Questions

Decorating By onlymadaresane Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 12:44pm by cakesweetiecake

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 13

So I hear foam boards are better for base of cakes.

I've a few questions.
What size thickness?

How do you get them to be round all the way around? When I have to cut a cake board to size inevitably I've got jagged edges...any tricks?

Do you just take the pan (the next size up) and trace it on the board to get the right size?

Any other tips you wise cakers can hand down to a newbie when it comes to this kinda of thing??

Thanks!

12 replies
SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 13

I use foam boards alot, i just get mine from michaels, im not sure how thick they are but they are pretty thin. I just trace the outline with a pan and then just it with a bread type knife. I prefer these compared to the cardboard ones i feel they are more sturdy icon_smile.gif
HTH

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 13

Some foam board I've purchased in the past had more of a paper coating on them - not so nice. The ones I bought at Hobby Lobby are more of a shiny coating - I love them. I use the 1/4 inch between tiers but I've used the 1/2 inch for the bottom. I found 1/2 in black recently, used that as a square bottom board, put a white flexible cutting mat on that, red/white/black graduation cake - it was stunning. I purchased the cutting tool they have - it works great.

nancysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancysmom Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 13

I too have used foam boards. I trace them with a larger pan or with the inserts that come in the pan when I purchase it. I also cover mine with freezer paper and if I could reuse them I just change the paper. icon_lol.gif

samiam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samiam22 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 13

I just did a small cake today and used the 1/4 inch size. For heavier cakes I would use the 1/2 inch foamcore. The 1/2 inch is also a better size to attach a border ribbon around. I use a small sharp craft knife to cut them . I have not seen a special tool but will now look for it. The craft knife works pretty well. I love the look of the white board as a backdrop for the cakes.

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 13

Of course I don't have the package my cutter came in but www.foamwerks.com is printed on it and it comes with extra blades. And I think I bought it at A.C.Moore, it was right beside the foamboards. I bought the cheaper one, they show it as cutting straight but I don't have a problem getting my rounds cut too.

samiam22 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks pbeckwith,
Unfortunately I am Canadian ( YIKES ,that sounds unpatriotic...and I don't mean that lol) . I just mean that we don't have A.C. Moore stores here....but I am going on a big shopping trip to the states for 3 days around American Thanksgiving. I am going to the Pennsylvania Prime outlets area .. I am hoping for a Hobby Lobby ,Joannes or A.C Moore...aaahhhhh

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 13

I can also suggest you try using MDF boards. They are extremely cheap and can be reused many times. Oh and they are super sturdy.

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:45pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam22

Thanks pbeckwith,
Unfortunately I am Canadian ( YIKES ,that sounds unpatriotic...and I don't mean that lol) . I just mean that we don't have A.C. Moore stores here....but I am going on a big shopping trip to the states for 3 days around American Thanksgiving. I am going to the Pennsylvania Prime outlets area .. I am hoping for a Hobby Lobby ,Joannes or A.C Moore...aaahhhhh

You're so funny! The Mall in Erie, PA which is on your way to Grove City, Prime outlets has an A. C. Moore. Good luck.

samiam22 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 9:51pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam22

Thanks pbeckwith,

You're so funny! The Mall in Erie, PA which is on your way to Grove City, Prime outlets has an A. C. Moore. Good luck.

Thanks for the info ..I was just talking to my neighbour about that 5 minutes ago. Apparently the bus stops at a mall on the way back. I hope that this is the one!!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:48pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ169

I use foam boards alot, i just get mine from michaels, im not sure how thick they are but they are pretty thin. I just trace the outline with a pan and then just it with a bread type knife. I prefer these compared to the cardboard ones i feel they are more sturdy icon_smile.gif
HTH

They are 3/16 of an inch thick...you can also get 1/2 inch thick.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:50pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlymadaresane

How do you get them to be round all the way around? When I have to cut a cake board to size inevitably I've got jagged edges...any tricks?
Thanks!

Straight cuts just need a straight edge and sharp utility knife. For perfect circles, I use the LION-EV-R-ROUND circle cutters from www.misterart.com

You can cut circles from about 2 inches to 16 if you buy the basic cutter and extension arm.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:44pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeckwith

Of course I don't have the package my cutter came in but www.foamwerks.com is printed on it and it comes with extra blades. And I think I bought it at A.C.Moore, it was right beside the foamboards. I bought the cheaper one, they show it as cutting straight but I don't have a problem getting my rounds cut too.

I hate cutting boards. LOL!

Thanks for the links that you and Jeff provided. I may have to check them out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%