My Quick Mcqueen How-To

Decorating By lostincake Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 11:17pm by Steelgoddess

lostincake Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 7

Due to the amount of PMs I've gotten I thought I'd post this info here as well...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1452679

My quick McQueen How-To:

Unfortunately I did not take pictures as I was making this so don't have step by step instructions but will just highlight the main steps I used...

I did 95% of it freehand. Even the parts that weren't 100% freehand were still cut by hand but using handmade templates and even the parts I cut out freehanded could be printed out and cut out using the template method.

First, I stacked 1/2 of a 9" x 9" square on top of a 9" x 13" and just freehand carved it "by eye" using my son's McQueen car of the same size as a guide. Then I built up areas that needed more height with cake such as the areas above the tires and the rounded front bumper area.

I then crumb coated with BC and covered the cake with red fondant. Next I applied the detail work on top of the base red starting with the bigger pieces such as front window/eye whites, side & rear windows, mouth etc. I also freehand cut the tail-fin and let dry for two days so it would hold it's shape when attached.

Then I cut out and applied the smaller details such as the headlights, the mini lightning bolts, rear lights, decals etc. The decals and logos were done using the cut out method where you print out the image you want, and cut out each coloured part and use those as templates on differernt coloured fondant and cut with an exacto knife.

The pupils, tires and rims were cut out using circle cutters of the appropriate size and I just used simple lines in white on the tires instead of cutting out the letters for "Lightyear" (which would have been impossible)!

HTH.

6 replies
lostincake Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 7

Oh and nearly forgot...

I couldn't find the side lightning bolt decals on-line and the only pics I could find of them were on an angle so I just took pics of my son's toy and printed those off and cut out the templates from that.

bashini Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 7

First I have to say that your cake is absolutely brilliant! Secondly Thank you for taking time to do a How to on that. Its very helpful. icon_biggrin.gif

Again, Thank You! icon_biggrin.gif

tracey1970 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:56am
post #4 of 7

Superb cake! Thank you for this!

lostincake Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks ladies and it was my pleasure icon_smile.gif

FlourPots Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 7

I love your cake...thanks for the how-to.

Steelgoddess Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 7

Awesome cake!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%