Deepth Of Sheet Cakes

Decorating By dinie Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 1:46am by JanH

dinie Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 4

My question is what is the thickness of a sheet cake? My pans are 2 inch deep and the cakes that I make just don't seem thick enough. So I end up baking 2 cakes and sometimes the customer doesn't want filling so what do I do that case? The one I did the other day I had made simple syrup and put the 2 cakes together with out any filling and it looked to be the right thickness then. I use the wasc cake in one one it fulls the pan, it bake just about to the top of the pan.
Do they make 4 inch deep sheet pans?

3 replies
indydebi Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 4

A sheet cake is 2" high.

Sometimes I get brides/grooms who tell me they don't want any filling. 99.9% of the time, this means they don't want a FRUITY type of filling .... they just want icing between the layers.

For the 0.1% who really mean "no" filling, I tell them they HAVE to have a filling ... it's the glue that holds the two layers together. I can't (won't) make a 2-layer cake w/o filling.

If your cakes aren't baking to the top of the pan, you're probably not putting enough batter in the pan. I like to use baking strips and reduce the oven temp by 25 degrees.

miny Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 4

Mine are 2 in if it's a single layer (no filling at all, fruit or BC) and 3 in if it's a double layer with either kind of filling. I do 4 in only on wedding, or stalked cakes only. HTH

JanH Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:46am
post #4 of 4

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

Above superthread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) and so much more.

There's also a link to Wilton's cake making help... Gives batter requirements by pan size as well as recommended baking temps. and times - as well as servings yields by pan size.

In addition, there's info on making your own pan grease, using bake-even strips and substituting flower nails for heating core.

Quote by @%username% on %date%