Advice Needed For A Castle Cake

Decorating By ajjhmf Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 9:17pm by CakeInfatuation

ajjhmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajjhmf Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all!

I'm making a cake for my daughter's 5th birthday and she is insisting upon a castle cake. I made one earlier in the summer for my son and didn't like how it turned out and I had a ton of trouble getting the towers to stand up. So, before I make another go around, I really need some help.

I think this time I will use rice crispy treats for the towers and set them slightly into the cake. Is there a good recipe for treats or can I buy them and reshape them?

Thanks,
Jenny

2 replies
kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 3

I think you can find the recipe for them on the back of the bag of marshmallows. I made a castle last year and the way that I made the towers was to roll out fondant, cut it the length and width you need and then I wrapped them around a paper towel core. Wrap the cardboard core in plastuc wrap first and secure with a peice of tape, dust with a bit of powdered sugar and then just wrap the fondant around it. Let dry for a couple of days standing upright so as not to flatten on one side. Should slip right off when dry. Hope this helps. I have never used the store, premade rice treats, so cant tell you how well they would work. Picture of castle in my photos.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 3

I just made a batch of rice krispy treats, put it in a 1/2 sheet pan, took another pan and pressed down hard to flatten. Then took a 2" cookie cutter and cut circles. Stacked the circles as tall as I wanted, stuck a dowel through the middle, and voila! Rice krispy towers. When you put the fondant on the tower, it makes a nice texture that looks like stone. Perfect for a castle tower. I just did one like this. It's in my pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%