Advice Needed For A Castle Cake

Decorating By ajjhmf Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 9:17pm by CakeInfatuation

ajjhmf Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all!

I'm making a cake for my daughter's 5th birthday and she is insisting upon a castle cake. I made one earlier in the summer for my son and didn't like how it turned out and I had a ton of trouble getting the towers to stand up. So, before I make another go around, I really need some help.

I think this time I will use rice crispy treats for the towers and set them slightly into the cake. Is there a good recipe for treats or can I buy them and reshape them?

2 replies
kakedreamer1212 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 3

I think you can find the recipe for them on the back of the bag of marshmallows. I made a castle last year and the way that I made the towers was to roll out fondant, cut it the length and width you need and then I wrapped them around a paper towel core. Wrap the cardboard core in plastuc wrap first and secure with a peice of tape, dust with a bit of powdered sugar and then just wrap the fondant around it. Let dry for a couple of days standing upright so as not to flatten on one side. Should slip right off when dry. Hope this helps. I have never used the store, premade rice treats, so cant tell you how well they would work. Picture of castle in my photos.

CakeInfatuation Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 3

I just made a batch of rice krispy treats, put it in a 1/2 sheet pan, took another pan and pressed down hard to flatten. Then took a 2" cookie cutter and cut circles. Stacked the circles as tall as I wanted, stuck a dowel through the middle, and voila! Rice krispy towers. When you put the fondant on the tower, it makes a nice texture that looks like stone. Perfect for a castle tower. I just did one like this. It's in my pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%