Do Dummy Cakes Need To...

Decorating By Marcelita Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 6:38pm by idgalpal

Marcelita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marcelita Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 6

be '"crumb coated" in order for the buttercream to adhere properly?

I am making a 50th wedding anniversary cake and the bottom tier (12 inches) is a dummy. This will be my first tiered cake and the first picture I will ever post here! I am very excited!

Thanks to all in advance!

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 6

Nope. Just slap that bc on there.

WildSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WildSugar Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 6

Had to edit....i totally missed that you were putting buttercream on it, not fondant! And it looks like someone already answered your question anyways! Sounds like you can just put the BC on with no problem!

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 6

WildSugar, I'm interested in the "put shortening" on the dummy. I have used dummies a few time and have always put bc on them. I assume you put shortening on them then covered with fondant? I'm going to be doing a wedding cake for the Fair and can use dummies for 3 of the 4 tiers. The cake will sit at the Fair for about 12 days. How did the smoothing of the fondant go if that is what you covered it with. What do you think about the 12 days sitting around like that? icon_confused.gif Sounds like a good idea!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 6

i always use press n seal.. the good brand. on my dummmies.. when i frost with buttercream.. stays great and looks great.. hth

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 6

Oh, I like the Press n seal idea on the dummies! I'm going to try that next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%