Ok! Nicholas Lodge Gumpaste Disaster!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By sweetisome Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 6:12pm by GeorgiaGingerbread

sweetisome Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 4

This is a re posting of an unfortunately titled thread......
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I have heard folks on here rave about NL gumpaste. So I bought some........AHHHH!!!!! It's actually "rubbery" and it never hardens! I made stamens 2 days ago and they're still pliable. I mixed it with some Satin Ice gumpaste.....1 day ago, same type of stamens (about 1 1/2 inches long and a little more than 1/8 inch thick...so not very big) YOu guessed it...still pliable. Making petals...and 2 hours later...again still VERY pliable...I mean they won't hold a shape. I'm trying to make calla lillies and the tops keep drooping down on the form....I'm afraid once I get them onto the stamens and turn them upright, they'll just droop in the other direction. Any advice???!!!!

Ok Ok OK!!!! I do not hate Nicholas Lodge...the man!!! I'm sure he is a very nice person....I used that as a reference to product name...and product name only. Perhaps I should have been a little more specific. I did however title the thread strongly because I wanted some feed back and I find that if I title any post in a PC way, I get little to no response. I wanted to grab your attention, but meant in no way any insult to anyone. In response to some... The weather is cool and dry here...Satin Ice dries and sets up almost too quickly for me and this is why I added it to the NL product. I was hoping one would counteract the other. I do like very much the fact that doesn't dry so fast that I get cracks on the edges of my carefully formed petals...but it doesn't set completely EVER...

I am certain that Mr. Lodge and his associates are very reputable and strive to provide products of the very highest quality. I am simply looking for input as to what I may be doing wrong, or perhaps not doing correctly at all so that MY product is also of the very highest quality.

Again my sincerest apologies to Mr. Lodge for any personal insult to his character. I will attempt to re- title my post.

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 4

You are a beautiful work of art!!! Thank you!!! (For the new title.)

I have used CK's gum paste mix forever--just add water--wonderful stuff. I ordered some gum paste mix online--it was a different brand --it did set up but s-l-o-w-l-y one petal at a time and it took forever--and I had mixed in a ton of red color to make deeep dark blood red roses--it did set up but not like it should have.

And that's another thought--add some gum paste powder mix to it.

Or add some corn starch.

Best of luck to you!

Loucinda Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 4

You may want to contact a moderator and have the OP removed.

I don't use the premade stuff, I do however use his recipe and have never had a problem with it. You may want to contact them and see if maybe you just got a bad batch? They are wonderful people to deal with, and I LOVED the classes I took with them.

GeorgiaGingerbread Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 4

Please, PLEASE try to have the OP removed. I have been so fortunate to be able to take 9 different classes from this man, and he is probably the most wonderful and informative person I have ever met. Nicholas Lodge is an awesome instructor and his patience is beyond outstanding. I just can't say enough about his character.

I have never purchased pre-made gumpaste, nor have I noticed that there was a NL brand on the shelves in his store. So unfortunately, I cannot offer much advice on pre-made GP, other than adding Crisco and do not microwave it. I have made his recipe several times with success using Confectionary Arts International Tylose Powder and Chef Rubber's Tylose Powder. I do find that I have an easier time making his recipe if I half or quarter the original recipe. I just do sugar art as a hobby, so I generally do not need to use a whole lot of gumpaste at once.

For flowers and leaves, 100% gumpaste is best. It dries fast, so you do have to work quickly. For the use of molds or other cut-outs, a 50/50 mixture of fondant and gumpaste can be used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%