Suggestions For Making Groom's Cake Ahead?

Decorating By Cakes1985 Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 2:37pm by Cakes1985

Cakes1985 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 7

I have decided I would make my future husband a replica cake of his 1965 truck that he has restored for our wedding day as a surprise. This might be a little tricky to do but I'm hoping someone on here has some helpful hints and ideas.

If I bake the cake and carve it this weekend (sept 5), cover it in ganache and then freeze it until 1 or 2 days before the wedding, take it out of the freezer and put the finishing touches like fondant and fondant acceories on it, would that work? Or could I make it and decorate it completely this weekend and freeze it? is there a recipe for fondant that freezes ok?

6 replies
kakeladi Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 7

........bake the cake and carve it this weekend (sept 5), cover it in ganache and then freeze it until 1 or 2 days before the wedding, take it out of the freezer and put the finishing touches like fondant and fondant acceories on it, would that work?.....

Definitely ....... go for it.
I would not completely decorate it ahead. Fondant does not do well in the fzr. The main reason is when it defrosts the moisture in the cake has no where to go and will cause the cake to be mushy.

Cakes1985 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 7

that's what I thought, but I thought I had read somewhere that there was a recipe for fondant that freezes ok. I very well could be wrong though.

Thanks for the reply! I figured I would be ok doing it that way but I just wanted another opinion.

leah_s Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 7

SatinIce does advertise that their fondant goes in and out of the freezer just fine. I have not tried it however.

|
|
V
siggy

MissRobin Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 7

I tried just refrigerating Satin Ice when I did my daughter's wedding cake..... DISASTER!!!!!!! Bubbles everywhere!! I just sat down and cried, I had to refondant 2 tiers twice!!!!! Maybe just my fridge because I know people refrigerate fondant all the time with no problem!

Kellbella Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 7

Same thing happened to me with fondarific bc flavored fondant..major air bubble on top of cake after coming out of fridge and back to room temp! icon_mad.gif

Cakes1985 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 7

yikes! That is something I don't need 2 days before my wedding. I have carved the cake and put ganache on it and froze it. Im hoping it will be ok. It only has to be in the freezer for 2 weeks and then I can finish decorating it. Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%