Baby Bassinet Cake - Making The "hood"

Decorating By Mug-a-Bug Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 11:16pm by sweetreasures

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 7

My bassinet cake is finished..... except for the "hood" part. My origonal plan was to make out of candy melts poured over a toy ball. The chocolate just ran down the sides. It looked terribly thin in places and uneven and lumpy. Plan B was to make out of fondant (with gumtex). That worked okay, but since I didn't make it in advance it still isn't dry. (Made it last night). All the while, my cake is getting older. Any tips on how I can make it out of the candy melts successfully? I don't have the wilton ball pan and really don't want to purchase it if I don't have to. I would like to try to make it out of the toy ball I've already been using, as it is the perfect size. TIA icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 7

Find a bowl the right size and use it instead of the ball pan. Check this out:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-618156-0.html

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 7

DUH!!! I'm an idiot!! icon_confused.gif I can just use a cereal bowl!

Sorry for the double post btw. thumbsdown.gif

edited: the cereal bowl's flat bottom is messing me up. I may just have to suck it up and go buy the ball pan, but I think it might be too big.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 7

Can you wait for the chocolate to be cooler and just dip the toy ball in the chocolate? Wait a bit, dip again. Repeat until you get the desired thickness? Just a thought...
Can't wait to see the finished product icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 7

I've heard of using a balloon too, then popping it when the chocolate has set. I've never tried it though.

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 7

Skirt's idea sounds like it would work. I did this with wax trying to make a dipping candle. Couldn't figure out why it wasn't working because the hot wax kept melting off the original wax, until I realized the wax needed to cool a bit to work properly.

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 7

Jammjenks, thanks for the visual instructions for your bassinet hood. I don't know why I was thinking painting the chocolate on the outside of the bowl icon_redface.gif probably from the ball image.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%