Cake Camp 2009

Decorating By Rylan Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 6:21pm by bisbqueenb

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 7:24am
post #1 of 29

It's already September and a few weeks before cake camp. Who is coming?

28 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 7:30am
post #2 of 29

I wish I could go but we had a huge expense moving from Raleigh to Houston this summer. Maybe next year I'll make it. I'm not totally upset though since I signed up for 2 classes this fall (one of them with Sharon & Jenn). Have fun at the camp Rylan and please fill us in on your thoughts.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 29

What classes are you taking Rylan? One of these days I will make it there! (still want to do cake cruise too)

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:21pm
post #4 of 29

Welcome to Houston xstitcher! I've signed up for that class, too. Can't wait!

Rylan Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 29

Aww I wish you could have both gone. I'm actually just volunteering and checking out the vendor area. It is out of my budget to register and take classes.

Xstitcher, I'm dying to have a class with them as well. I just wish.

Loucinda, I'll definitely be going to ICES next year though. Cake cruise, I don't think I can afford or financially.

Loucinda Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 29

Rylan - you will have a blast volunteering!! I did about 12 hours of volunteer work at convention, and the time I spent doing that was when I got to really talk to the "famous" cake people! I will always make sure to volunteer at every convention I attend. You will get to meet so many great folks. icon_smile.gif

Get you a big jar, glue the lid on and everytime you make a cake or have an extra couple of bucks, stick it in that jar. By convention time, you will have a nice stash to use for classes or toys!

Rylan Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 29

Loucinda, you got me all excited. You better not forget to make me a name tag for the convention next year hehe.

I'm going to do what you adviced. Starting tomorrow, I will have a jar in my closet.

Loucinda Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:55pm
post #8 of 29

icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:14pm
post #9 of 29

I'm going and really can't believe it's almost here already. I had thought about volunteering but my husband is going with me and I thought I should spend a little time with him icon_smile.gif! I'm really excited. There were so many classes I wanted to take, but didn't think I could manage hauling all of the stuff I'd need on the plane. Then I found out that MOICES is having a huge event that same weekend--Sharon Zambito and Jennifer Doontz are doing a class there.....and that would have easily been within driving distance for me. Nevertheless, I can't wait for Vegas baby icon_smile.gif!!!

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:16pm
post #10 of 29

I will be going again this year. I think this is like my 9th time. It is sooo much fun. I have seen it grow from just being mostly our cake club members teaching classes to the internationally known decorators we now have. I am taking the following classes:
Chocolate Decor with James Rosselle & Marina Sousa
Diamonds & Pearls with Two Sweet Sisters
Fundamentals in Gumpaste with Anna Weisend
Bling Bling With Kathy Scott, which will be a hoot
Choco Pan with Norm Davis
Couture Gelatin Flowers with Laure'l Silverberg
Cupcake Towers & Displays with Susan Carberry

It will be fun, but tiring!!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:31pm
post #11 of 29

I'll be there!! I would love to take more classes, but I limited myself to gumpaste since I know I will use what I learn. I'm very excited but still a little stressed ... okay, MORE than a little ... about getting my flowers back home on the plane. icon_biggrin.gif

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:10am
post #12 of 29

Hello everyone, there is a thread under events about cake camp and we would like to get a cc table for the banquet since most of us are going alone. If any of you are interested in joining us, we're trying to come up with a way to spot each other. Hope to see you there.

mbt4955 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:42pm
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstonia

Hello everyone, there is a thread under events about cake camp and we would like to get a cc table for the banquet since most of us are going alone. If any of you are interested in joining us, we're trying to come up with a way to spot each other. Hope to see you there.

I'm not finding a thread under Events that has anything recent posted. paulstonia, can you post the link? Maybe I'm just not finding it.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this trip is costing me quite a bit and I would love to find some affordable food options for Saturday and Sunday evenings.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:05pm
post #14 of 29

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=639891&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

I THINK this was the thread in Events...looks like it is now in general?????
Lots more ideas in this one...some about Friday dinner, name tags to identify CC members etc.

mbt4955 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:13pm
post #15 of 29

I'm getting this one. I didn't want to miss any information that might be posted under Events. Thanks, bisbqueenb. thumbs_up.gif

paulstonia Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 9:02pm
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

I'm getting this one. I didn't want to miss any information that might be posted under Events. Thanks, bisbqueenb. thumbs_up.gif

Yes, the thread I was refering to did get moved to general. Thanks bisbqueenb for the link. I don't seem to be able to do that right. icon_redface.gif
I can't believe camp is so close, I can't wait!

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 9:20pm
post #17 of 29

I'm going to Cake Camp for the first time, but only the vendor area. Too $teep for me this year. I'm very excited!

Rylan Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:19am
post #18 of 29

I'm so excited, it's already next week! I hope to see you all.

I'm sure no one with recognize me as Rylan--you will all be surprised.

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:28am
post #19 of 29

Rylan, so cryptic. What's that supposed to mean?

Rylan Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:01am
post #20 of 29

I'd probably look really really out of place (hehe).

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:06am
post #21 of 29

Talk about saving for convention and things of the like. I always pick one of my weddings and put the entire amount aside for saving. Then every time I do a cake when I really should have said no, because of over booking or over committed with family stuff, I put that entire amount in the savings jar. I always have enough for convention. (Does it mean I should say no more?....probably but I always tell my self it's my convention money! Ha) See you at ICES and maybe cake camp next year.

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:25am
post #22 of 29

Is cake camp every year? Same place?
I was really looking forward to being able to go, and circumstances came up, and now am unable icon_sad.gif

I sure hope to try again, next year.... If there is one next year?

paulstonia Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:45pm
post #23 of 29

There won't be one next year because ices is in san diego. But I know they had one lost year, I found out too late to go. And I do believe it is always in las vegas.

Rylan Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:29pm
post #24 of 29

1989 and 2009 is the only odd year so far.

Check it out.

http://www.cakecamp.com/about.shtml

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:46pm
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Hey Rylan, that will make two of us!!!!

Rylan Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 6:12pm
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Hey Rylan, that will make two of us!!!!

What classes are you taking?

mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 8:36pm
post #27 of 29

After cake camp will you all post pictures of your work with the title of your class and if possible the teachers display work.

I would love to see the finished products since on the registration page most just have descriptions of what you will be doing and not a picture - sorry I'm a visual person.

I hope everyone had fun.

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:21am
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstonia

There won't be one next year because ices is in san diego. But I know they had one lost year, I found out too late to go. And I do believe it is always in las vegas.

In the past it has been held mostly a colleges with dorms and classrooms that can be used. They have been in Bakersfield, Santa Barbara, San Jose, Los Angeles & Riverside all in CA. Only the last 3 have been in Las Vegas. I have been to quite a few of these and if we could combine elements of each one we would have a perfect event. They are trying to come back to California for the next one. The convention rates in Vegas are high. At a college the room rates are about half of what the Riviera is charging this year.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:21pm
post #29 of 29

I'll be heading out toward Vegas tomorrow, will get there Wed. afternoon after a stop in Phoenix! I have 5 nites booked at the Riviera that I booked online not thru Cake Camp, and it come to $222.00, even adding the $75 fee we were charged for not booking thru them, it is a LOT less than the published price thru Cake Camp! AND, in their news letter, if you paid the $75 and ARE booked into the hotel other than thru them, they will now refund that $75 with proof of reservations!

Since I will be there when registration opens, I will find out about putting a CC note on the bulletin board for you all to post messages back and forth. If I can find out about tables and where would be a good place to meet up, I'll add that to the message board as well.

Got to make by avatar button today so look fo me in the crowd and say CC Hi!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%