Why Do People Use Simple Syrup On Their Cakes?

Decorating By gimmesugar Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 5:50pm by sugarsugargal

gimmesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmesugar Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:45am
post #1 of 7

I hear all the time about people painting their cake layers with simple syrup before spreading the frosting on. Is this supposed to make the cake more moist?

6 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:52am
post #2 of 7

it adds some flavor(if you add any) and helps make it moist.. some people can over bake a cake.. that is when simple syrup helps. others just like to use it on all their cakes.. hth

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 7:14am
post #3 of 7

Just like Icer101 said.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 8:02am
post #4 of 7

As well as using it to add moisture I use it under my fondant. I cover my cakes in ganache and when it's really smooth the fondant doesn't have anything to adhere to without either a spray of water or a brush with a jam syrup (equal parts apricot jam and boiling water, stirred then sieved. I also add a bit of cointreau liqueur for some flavour!)

It's in no way necessary to use syrup on your cakes but I find it helps keep them (especially cupcakes) moist.

HTH
Emma

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 7

You can really tell a difference when you use a moistening syrup and when you don't. As everyone said, it makes the cake really moist and also makes the cake more flavorful. I don't make cakes unless I put a moistening syrup on them!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 7

I do it for flavor for chocolate WASC - I make a simple syrup with coffee instead of water - adds incredible flavor.

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 7

i use syrups on all my cakes and it really makes a difference to moisture and flavour icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%