Recycle Ideas Lets Save Money

Decorating By tatorchip Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 6:49pm by tatorchip

tatorchip Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:36am
post #1 of 16

I was wondering how many cc members have great recycle ideas (we could all save money when we can) for example GenGen gave a great idea on another thread about using a tomatoe can with both ends cut out and using for a heat core in ball cakes, now that is free (wash cans well before use) I save bubble wrap from things I order and another member said to use that to wrap bagged cookies for travel a long distance. Okay now its your turn cc members lets save each other money

15 replies
Rylan Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 16

Someone has suggested to combine all the scrap colored fondant and then add black to make black fondant.

tatorchip Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks Ryan, now that is what I am talking about, writing the tip down in my tip notebook.

IsaSW Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 16

I have a saving idea I want to share.

I do not have money to buy a van, I own a small car, and some how I have to transport 3 tier cakes in my small car.
I sketched the idea to my husband and he cut some wood an made me two of this for the back of my car, (he made sure it was leveled)( I place non slip rug liners from Home Depot), the boards are removable, very stable and the best of all, they were free, with scrap wood from the garage.

I can remove them when I am done with the delivery.
Last time I packed my cake like this, the two bottom tiers were together(SPS to the rescue), 16" /10"inside a box, and the 6" tier, I had it in a small 8" box, that fitted perfectly in the floor by the board leg.
There was room next to the cake for my daughters carseat. And all the stuff that didn't need to be with AC, fits in the trunk.
I love my boards!!!!!

cylstrial Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 16

Wow Isa! Great idea! Thanks for the pictures!

KHalstead Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 16

that's an awesome idea.....

my ideas are kinda stupid........but I use the empty crystal light containers (we drink lots of it) for mixing luster dust w/ vanilla and for putting a small amount of dragees while putting them on cakes

and I also use leftover lids from 2 liters of soda (we also get bottles of flavored water w/ the same sized lids) for feet underneath my cake boards. I use a hot glue gun to glue the lid to the underside of the cake drums. I just make sure they are far enough back that you can't see them from the front, if they are different colors sometimes I'll spray paint them white or black (I get cheap .99 spray paint from home depot for that) just in case someone catches a peek.

Here is a cake that i used them on.

Oh and I use empty paper towel rolls cut in half lengthwise for flower formers

and this is totally uncake related, but if any of you camp or have fires ...I save my dryer lint and put it in empty toilet paper fire starting log you'll ever have.........and it's FREE

divaessence Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 16

Egg cartons as flower formers and for storage for items like flower stamens.

Sweet-Treats Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:59pm
post #8 of 16

I sometimes make cake boards from cardboard boxes. Use cake pan to draw size then wrap with aluminum foil.

mcalhoun Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:09pm
post #9 of 16

I hope I dont' get blasted for this I think it was perfectly ok. Anyway I saved the foil from my last cake (I cover my cakes in saran wrap then foil for freezing) and reused it for todays then threw it away today. It seemed ok to me since the only thing touching the cake is the saran wrap.

kakeladi Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:18pm
post #10 of 16

.....Egg cartons as flower formers and for storage ........
.........make cake boards from cardboard boxes............

CanNOT agree w/either of these. The health dept would come unglued if they say the use of egg cartons as there is the possibility of salmonella
How do you know where those boxes have been and what could have been crawling on them? Most of the time they are not strong enough either. Some day you are going to do this for an important cake and have a major problem icon_sad.gif
There are just some things that aren't worth the pennies you might save.

missmeg Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 16

Love love LOVE the feet for teh cake drums :heart:. I'll have to start doing that.

I cover all my cakeboards in Press n' Seal, then cover with foil paper. If I get the boards back and there are no grease stains, I'll use them again.

Like saving fondant scraps to make black fondant, I'll save small leftovers of icings and use them as my black starter for doing writing and outlining.

tatorchip Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:47pm
post #12 of 16

all the trim off cakes are put in coolwhip container and then in fridge, my hubby loves to grab a bowl and pour milk over and eat. One bowl serves two function and only one to wash. My gs loves to take one home to eat after supper, no icing so thats a good thing for his mom too. I don't worry about the bowl being returned either. I always have some so I date the lid. Kids love to leave with a treat so anytime one comes over they leave with something.

bbmom Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:02pm
post #13 of 16

I do mostly cookies, so mine are cookie related. When I have any leftover royal icing I mix it all together to make black. I do not use the disposable bags anymore, only the washable and plastic bottles for my icing. Also whenever we get any packages I save the styofoam to use for my bouquets. I had been buying it for $1 a block!!!

Cake_Princess Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm
post #14 of 16

Plastic egg containers can be washed with a warm soapy water and a little bleach. Then used as flower formers.

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:10pm
post #15 of 16

Egg trays for flower formers...not egg carton but the plastic trays that the stores carry before easter, for displaying your decorated easter eggs. Also, silicone mini muffin pans, the piping tip box from Wilton, paint palettes that have not been used for paint. Crumpled foil to dry leaves on, for an interesting shape.

A piece of a styrofoam plate for a platform for gumpaste rose petals (poke a hole in it, stick the 5 petal shape on the styrofoam, put the wire down the hole and then you have a tiny table that balances on your hand while you arrange the petals).

I use cardboard boxes for cake boards too...but only the bottom board that does not come into contact with the cake, and I still wrap it well. My cardboard boxes are moving boxes from Home Depot and it's easy to tell that they haven't been used before.

tatorchip Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:49pm
post #16 of 16

Love all the great ideas, keep them coming, this helps me so much and hope it is helping others. Glad that cookie post are also here and would love cupcakes also, any idea for any savings is always a good idea
Thanks Deborah

Quote by @%username% on %date%