Smb Too Buttery

Decorating By Caike Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 2:27am by Caike

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:43am
post #1 of 16

So tonight I got ambitious and am gearing up for the local fair, so want to try out some new stuff I've learned from here the last few weeks. That being said, I tried SMB tonight, and it turned out fantastic with one exception - tastes WAY too much like butter... to the point where I feel like I'm shoving a stick in my mouth and chewing... icon_wink.gif

Here's the recipe I used:

10 egg whites
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 cups butter
1 tablespoon vanilla

When I was done, I went to a few sites and one girl gave a review of a very similar SMB recipe and said to cut the butter taste she added some icing sugar and doubled the vanilla. I did just that, and in the end it wasn't too bad.

Has anyone else had this issue? How did you fix, other than the obvious...cutting back the butter?

In regards to consistency, can't wait to try it on the cake...I'm hoping it crusts nicely and tastes fantastic. I will take pics when it's finished; this will be my first two tier. thumbs_up.gif

15 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:50am
post #2 of 16

Did you use salted or unsalted butter? If you use salted butter it tastes much more buttery. It's still going to taste much more buttery than the ps/icing sugar + fat (butter or shortening) icing.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:50am
post #3 of 16

To three egg whites I use one tablespoons of vanilla essentially one teaspoon for every egg white, so I would more than triple the vanilla in your formula.

My smbc does not crust. I don't know how it will work out with the added powdered sugar but it does not crust.

Caike Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:54am
post #4 of 16

If it doesn't crust, then I'm assuming it wont seal in the moisture in the cake, and should be eaten like what, same day? Maybe day after? I'm trying to have it ready for Saturday evening but timing doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Also, if it doesn't crust can I still lay fondant overtop? I wanted this icing to tort and crumb coat - maybe I was under the wrong impression here re: what it would do.

Any advice would be helpful.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:56am
post #5 of 16

I have tried SMBC a few times wth unsalted butter and I feel like I'm eating spread butter on cake. Uhg don't like it at all. I am going to try IMBC, don't know if there will be a difference but am willing to try.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:59am
post #6 of 16

If smbc tastes like butter then there's not enough flavoring in it.

I use it for filling cakes and under fondant, the dam around the filling etc.

It does seal the cake--just differently than powdered sugar based icing.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:03am
post #7 of 16

Are you sure that the recipe is for 4 CUPS of butter, not STICKS? The recipe that I use (from Elisa Strauss's Confetti Cakes book) calls for 5 sticks of butter with 2 3/4 c sugar. Only using 2 1/2 cups of sugar and 8 sticks of butter seems a little off in comparison. The recipe that I use tastes a little buttery, but in a good way. I would think the one you're using would be extremely buttery!

Caike Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:03am
post #8 of 16

Ok perfect - good to know. We'll see how it tastes in the cake. It's for sure silky/velvety. I'm interested to put it on the cake.

Caike Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:06am
post #9 of 16

Yep - positive. Mind you I did question it...I tasted it at 3 cups and it was great (I should've just left it - bah!).

Here's the recipe from the site:

Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Ingredients

Makes about 9 cups, enough for about 28 cupcakes

* 2 1/2 cups sugar
* 10 large egg whites
* 4 cups (8 sticks or 2 pounds) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
* 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Although I just noticed the "unsalted" part. Perhaps the butter I used was salted by accident. I'll have to check the packs before I go to bed. icon_confused.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 7:49am
post #10 of 16

I tweaked a recipe for SMBC and it looks like that a LOT of butter, not enough sugar?

I use
1 cup sugar
4 egg whites
2 sticks of UNsalted butter
flavoring

sometimes I would add more sugar though... sugar addict here.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:48am
post #11 of 16

Margaret Braun's Vanilla Buttercream

Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

Ingredients
1 1/3 cups (2 sticks plus 5 tablespoons) unsalted butter at room temperature,
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cups granulated sugar
3 large egg whites.

I love this formula--it's a perfect balance to me.

Caike Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:52am
post #12 of 16

Thanks K8....perhaps next time (for the fair) I'll try that recipe. Does it double alright?

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:11pm
post #13 of 16

Perfectly.

And for what it's worth, when you get to 15 egg whites which is the recipe times 5, that's the maximum that will fit in my 6 quart Kitchen Aid mixer bowl. I mean you can beat more egg whites than that but once you get the butter in there--that's (recipe times 5) all that will ultimately fit.

You don't want to know how I figured that out-- icon_lol.gif

Caike Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:54pm
post #14 of 16

LOL....I can JUST imagine... icon_wink.gif

A KitchenAid stand mixer is on my Christmas list...NEVER wanted one until I started baking recently. Last night sealed the deal when I stood there with a freakin hand mixer for 10 minutes with the sugar/egg white mixture. icon_lol.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm
post #15 of 16
Caike Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:27am
post #16 of 16

So here's the deal - Yes, I did use salted butter (DUH)...

What now? I think the icing is 'ok'...will the cake dull it down a bit so that the whole thing tastes alright?

I'll post about the cake issues in another thread... icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%