Fruit Cake With A Faux Wedding Cake

Decorating By dolcebaci Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 5:17pm by dolcebaci

dolcebaci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcebaci Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:43am
post #1 of 8

Okay so I am asking for help....I need to cover a faux wedding cake that one quarter is a made up of a fruit cake.

I am just wondering is someone can guide me, the tier is 6" tall and the fruit cake is only 1 ' tall so I need to cut layers.
My question is....what would I need to use between each layer so the layers stick?

Any suggetions?

Dolce in Toronto....

7 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:03am
post #2 of 8

For fruit cake I would use apricot jam/preserves.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 8:43am
post #3 of 8

if you are using marzipan on the outside, you could also have marzipan between layers, with the preserves.
xx

dolcebaci Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 8

THe bride has requested I use fondant, can I use fondant as a layer also?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 8

I wouldn't use fondant between the layers, it won't hold up the same way marzipan will.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 8

Fondant is often used over marzipan on a fruit cake.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 8

If she is opposed to marzipan (and some people loathe it!), then you can use a double layer of fondant to decorate. I'm slightly confused as to how this cake will be constructed, but if the fruit cake will be on a board on top of the fake cake, you can stick the board to the fake cake with royal icing. I would adhere the fruit cake to the board with a bit of preserves.

dolcebaci Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 8

The cake is a hexigon shape and she has asked me just to add a 2" piece on the bottom tier. She is just looking for a photo op and then the fruit cake will be served to her guests.

so my question is due to the fact I only need a 2 inch wide slice but 6 inches tall I will have to stack the piece.
I will dowel that section of the cake however I have never done anything like this (first fruit cake that I am using the such a manner)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%