Foam Cores

Decorating By Kookie Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 2:15am by Kookie

Kookie Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:03am
post #1 of 13

When you use foam core boards as cake base for each tiers,
Can I put the cake directly on the foam core boards?
Thanks.

12 replies
leah_s Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:16am
post #2 of 13

sure.

|
|
V

Jeff_Arnett Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:10am
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookie

Thanks.

I do all the time....and if you dont' want to hace to cut it, go to w w w . l o g i c p i c . com [remove spaces] and buy them pre-cut in any shape or size you could imagine....they have 1/2 inch thick for bases and 3/16 in thick to go between tiers....plus their come covered with an FDA approved grease and waterproof finish.

cakesweetiecake Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:

Thanks.

I do all the time....and if you dont' want to hace to cut it, go to w w w . l o g i c p i c . com [remove spaces] and buy them pre-cut in any shape or size you could imagine....they have 1/2 inch thick for bases and 3/16 in thick to go between tiers....plus their come covered with an FDA approved grease and waterproof finish.

You answered my question. I wondered if there were any out there that were greaseproof!

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 13

I always wrap my foam core boards with press and seal wrap. I don't sell cakes or bake in enough volume to buy foam core by the box, or to order the fancy ones, so the foam core boards that I use are the ones that the craft store sells, which are not wrapped. Even putting them in the shopping cart probably exposes them to all sorts of germs...leaving them unwrapped would feel kind of like eating straight off the table at McDonalds...it looks clean but you never know who or what was touching it before.

Kookie Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I always wrap my foam core boards with press and seal wrap. I don't sell cakes or bake in enough volume to buy foam core by the box, or to order the fancy ones, so the foam core boards that I use are the ones that the craft store sells, which are not wrapped. Even putting them in the shopping cart probably exposes them to all sorts of germs...leaving them unwrapped would feel kind of like eating straight off the table at McDonalds...it looks clean but you never know who or what was touching it before.

Hello Texas_rose,
So... when you cut the cake, is there any possibility that you might cut the press and seal wrap and go somebody's slice of cakes?
That is my concern to use plastic wrap.
thank you.

Normita Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 13

I have heard that foam core is not considered food safe. I am talking about the ones you buy like at a craft store. What I have done is 1) cover the board with parchment paper which is glued on with piping gel and then place the cake on top or 2) place the cake on a regular cake board and then glue that with piping gel or you can glue the cake board first and then place your cake on top. The piping gel works good and doesnt make the cake slid. I then frost the entire thing with BC....the foam core gives my cakes an extra "boost". I really like them. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

momg9 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:43pm
post #8 of 13

Wouldn't you get as many germs on a single cake board bought at a cake store? They have them out uncovered.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:01am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by momg9

Wouldn't you get as many germs on a single cake board bought at a cake store? They have them out uncovered.

I think we over think this issue too much. Same as the debate as to whether it is safe to insert gumpaste flower wired into cakes...but look at decorators like Sylvia Weinstock.....her cakes sometimes have 1000's of wires stuck in them...and I just bet know one has ever been injured as a result.

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:12am
post #10 of 13
Quote:

So... when you cut the cake, is there any possibility that you might cut the press and seal wrap and go somebody's slice of cakes?
thank you.

No, it doesn't happen...at least I have never seen it happen. The press and seal attaches itself to the foamboard to the point that it's almost like laminating it. I used to use foil, but I read on CC about using press and seal, tried it, and was amazed at how well it works.

momg9 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:14am
post #11 of 13

I agree, I was just saying, no one seems to have a problem with using the cake boards uncovered, but won't use the foam core uncovered.

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:26am
post #12 of 13

I used to cover the cake boards too before I switched to foamcore. My dad was in the restaurant biz and I grew up hearing about germs and food safety. So it's a habit for me. I'm not trying to tell anyone else what they should do...just sharing what I do.

Kookie Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:15am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:

thank you.

No, it doesn't happen...at least I have never seen it happen. The press and seal attaches itself to the foamboard to the point that it's almost like laminating it. I used to use foil, but I read on CC about using press and seal, tried it, and was amazed at how well it works.

It is good to know all about press and seal.
I will use press and seal.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%