Emulsifiers In Buttercream Icing?

Baking By cakemomfor3 Updated 12 Aug 2013 , 10:21pm by auzzi

cakemomfor3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomfor3 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:45am
post #1 of 6

Can I use an emulsifier in my buttercream icing so it doesn't melt from the heat of my hand while decorating? Any suggestions of types or where to purchase?

5 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemomfor3

Can I use an emulsifier in my buttercream icing so it doesn't melt from the heat of my hand while decorating? Any suggestions of types or where to purchase?

Why emulsifier?

Mike

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 6

I use the Princess one and it's only for taste and not needing so much extracts. Have no idea about the hand heat.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 6

Princess is a flavoring icon_biggrin.gif It is an emulsion, meaning that it was made with some sort of emulsifier so that water and fat could combine, but there's not enough emulsifier in it to do what the OP is talking about.

We already use emulsifiers in our buttercream, or lots of us do anyhow icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif If you make Wilton's buttercream recipe with the meringue powder added to it, it has gum arabic which is an emulsifier. Personally, I use Indydebi's buttercream with the Dream Whip powder in it. Dream Whip has a couple of different emulsifiers in it. When you use it, it keeps the milk and the shortening from separating, so you don't get the greasy mouth-feel or the speckled look that buttercream will sometimes develop.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 6

if you will use sharon zambit's recipe..she shows it on youtube.. she uses hi-ratio shortening.. no need for anything else.. very stable in hot weather,etc.. taste great.. no gritty feeling using the dream whip.. no greasy mouth feeling.. try it ..you will love it.. hth

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 6

Hi-ratio shortening is an emulsified shortening. [You can use it by itself, or in varying proportions with butter to acheive a better taste/mouth-feel.]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%