New Technique Using?

Decorating By bripastryguy Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 12:26am by bripastryguy

bripastryguy Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 11

It looks like something shredded or pipped? could it be fondant or gum paste? rice paper? It doesnt look piped on, loosely wrapped. the bride doesnt know where the picture came from and she loves the cake. I'm thinking maybe Sugarveil?
LL

10 replies
leah_s Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 11

I totally think it looks piped on. Maybe with a number 4 or 5 round tip.

onlymadaresane Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:50am
post #3 of 11

I'd guess piped on too.

rharris524 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:08am
post #4 of 11

It could be piped. I think that it looks like fondant that was pressed into a mold of some sort...like rolled out over crinkled wax paper

G_Cakes Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:29am
post #5 of 11

Looks piped on but I am thinking you could achieve the same look using a painting faux finish technique...

if its iced in buttercream, just after is has slightly crusted wrap it up in wrinkled plastic wrap...then pull off...

I have never tried this on a cake...just a thought though icon_smile.gif

cocobean Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:06am
post #6 of 11

bripastryguy, I love that cake! It's sooo cool! icon_cool.gif I couldn't really tell what technique they used either because it is hard to see. I decided to get a magnifying glass and look at it through that. That helped a little. icon_confused.gif I'm guessing that they used a 4 or 5 round tip also but after that I think they may have smoothed it a bit with something like wax paper or typing paper or a viva paper towel. Thats my best guess so far. detective.gif It makes me want to jump up and go try it on a cake dummy.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:36am
post #7 of 11

could it be fondant using a clay extruder and then wrapping it round and round? it looks so beautiful!

Rylan Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:01pm
post #8 of 11

I agree, it looks like it is piped or they attached fondant strings using an extruder.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:26pm
post #9 of 11

Hey Brian--I'm used to seeing you on egullet. Hope all is well and the businesses are thriving.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6539806.html#6539806

The end of that thread has a potential idea on this design element. At least that's what I thought of when I read "new technique" not sure it is indeed what was used there but it is the newest to me. I haven't tried it yet.

Take Care!!

NYCGiGi Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:21pm
post #10 of 11

Where was this picture found????

bripastryguy Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:26am
post #11 of 11

she has no idea where the picture is from, i'm going to try running a 50/50 mix of gum paste and fondant through the fine spagetti cutter on my pasta machine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%