Making Airbrush Colors

Decorating By 3GCakes Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 1:51am by TexasSugar

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 8

The cake store nearest to me never has black spray color.

When I was first testing out my airbrush, which is internal mix and originally bought by sister for painting ceramics, I didn't have any colors so I mixed clear vanilla and a few drops of gel color. It sprayed fine, but I can't stand breathing the clear vanilla.

Anyway...does anyone ever make their own colors? and if so, do you use alcohol/vanilla whatever or do you use water?

Thanks!

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 8

Nope. I buy 'em.

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 8

There are numerous stores online that sell airbrush colors. I mix them for different shades but have never created my own. I am pretty particular in what I put in my airbrush because I don't want to cause it problems. icon_smile.gif

3GCakes Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks, all. I probably should have mentioned that the cake is for today, so I didn't have time to order it.

Usually I use the canned black spray but it always seems like it seperates. I only recentally got my airbrush going again.

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 8

3GCakes - I saw this post the other day and a CCer named bisbqueenb uses regular colors (or mixes w/vodka or everclear) for her airbrushing. Maybe try that. She also had a great tip on cleaning her airbrush using denture cleaners - very interesting tip.

Here's the link:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-649688.html

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 8

You can mix the gel color with vodka, the alcohol will evaporate so it's child save.

3GCakes Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the tips!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:51am
post #8 of 8

I'd invest in some Americolor Airbrush colors. While mixing the gel with vodka can work, you also risk getting clumps of color in the airbrush. I can never get the gel to completely melt in alcohol.

I love airbrush colors for painting as well, so for me even if I didn't have an airbrush I'd still have the colors cause they work great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%