Advice For A Newbie Please!

Decorating By DetailsByDawn Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 11:38pm by JanH

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 2

I apologize for the duplicate post, but I think I put in in the wrong forum and couldn't figure out how to switch it.

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping some of you can help me out with some advice! I am fairly new to cake decorating - I mostly do cakes for family and friends and try out new techniques as much as I can. I work mostly in buttercream with chocolate accents.

I have a very large, 4-tier, elegant cake in a safari theme to complete for the end of Oct. It will be covered in fondant and decorated with hand-sculpted safari animals.

I would really like to frost and possibly fill with SMBC. My first question is can I refrigerate the fondant-covered cake? I would love some advice from those who regularly refrigerate their fondant-covered cakes. Also, if I use SMBC, how long can I leave it out at the reception safely? If I can't refrigerate, does anyone have a great, not-too-sweet icing recipe that would be stable at room temp for 2-3 days?

Re: the fondant figures. I am planning on using homemade MMF. How far in advance can I start making these? I would like to start right away and make 1 every couple of days, as I am NOT the world's best sculptor!! They will take a while to dry, as I'd like the figures to be "plump". Once air-dried, do I store them at room temp in a sealed container? Will they be okay for the next 2 months? The event is on Oct 25th.

I thank you all so much for reading and offering any advice you have.

Thanks,
Dawn

1 reply
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 2

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%