Decorating Timeline & Storage

Decorating By montanamommy Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 11:39pm by indydebi

montanamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanamommy Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 8

What kind of timeline do you use when decorating a larger tiered cake? Does it take you hours, days? I know alot depends on how intricate the design is.
What about fondant cakes? Can you start a cake one day and finish it the next? If so, how do you store it?

I'm a novice still, so please forgive the naive questions.

Andrea

7 replies
montanamommy Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 8

Really? Nobody can answer this question?

montanamommy Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 8

Perhaps I need to rephrase the question. I'm wondering about storage of a fondant cake. If it takes a couple of days to complete the cake, how should it be stored in the mean time? Can you just leave it out on the counter if its covered in fondant?

Thanks for any replies.

Andrea

June-n-Lucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
June-n-Lucy Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 8

You can store a fondant covered cake (one that doesn't need to be refrigerated) for a couple of days at cool room temp. Although I would start to worry about it getting stale after a day or two.

Fondant does not do well refrigerated. It collects condensation and will look and feel moist.

I usually do my fondant work the day before, let the cake set that night and do the finishing work the day of.

Hope this helps!

DakotaDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DakotaDesigns Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 8

I'm not too sure on large tiered cakes covered in fondant however I have stored a fondant covered cake on the countertop covered with plastic wrap for up to two days before. The first time I put it in the fridge I regretted it! It was about 80 degrees and humid in my house when I took it out to finish it and it sweat and fell apart. I was able to save it but I don't recommend refrigerating. I'm still pretty new with fondant as well so I thought I would just share what I have tried. Trial and error is how I've been working it LOL. Anyone else have suggestions or story's of trial and error?

montanamommy Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. The few cakes I've made (only one was fondant) I was in a mad rush to get them done because I didn't think about doing them beforehand.

Every snippet of advice helps, so thank you! icon_wink.gif

Andrea

DakotaDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DakotaDesigns Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 8

No problem at all! I have found that I am way better with fondant than buttercream for sure. Could be that about 95% of my cakes are customized 3D and carved, but fondant is just more natural to me to work with. Don't hesitate to ask away, probably should here though that way anyone else who needs the advice can see it. I'm by no means a pro with fondant but I have done many things so far!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 8

I don't refrigerate my cakes. They sit on my counter for a couple of days while I work on them.

My birthday cake was fondant covered. From the time I made it until the time I finally cut into the one leftover tier, it was a week old.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%