Ri And Flavorings? Need Quick Help.

Baking By Mickeebabe Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 2:38am by Mickeebabe

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making Royal Icing right now and I don't like the taste of the meringue. I know some have added almond but I can't stand the smell of it. (yuck!) I have vanilla, lemon and butter flavors. Can anyone recommend what to use and how much to Antonia74 RI recipe?

Thanks so much.

7 replies
Mickeebabe Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 8

HELP!! I added some butter flavor and some vanilla and it tastes bad. icon_confused.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 8

Were you using Wilton-brand meringue powder? I've heard over and over again that it has that weird kind of taste to it.

When I created the recipe, my local supplier for meringue powder sold me a brand that has vanillin powder built right in....so the icing has a strong, yummy vanilla flavour to it. ( www.mccalls.ca )

I didn't realize that all brands on the market don't have that already added.

If you want to add flavour to your icing with my recipe, just add a few drops at a time of flavouring (maybe 1/2 - 2tsp?) of non oil-based extract, vanilla or even pure lemon juice.

Mickeebabe Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 8

Yes. I'm using the Wilton brand meringue. It's just awful.

Thanks. I'll try adding some flavors. How do you know if there non-oil based?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

Were you using Wilton-brand meringue powder? I've heard over and over again that it has that weird kind of taste to it.

When I created the recipe, my local supplier for meringue powder sold me a brand that has vanillin powder built right in....so the icing has a strong, yummy vanilla flavour to it. ( www.mccalls.ca )

I didn't realize that all brands on the market don't have that already added.

If you want to add flavour to your icing with my recipe, just add a few drops at a time of flavouring (maybe 1/2 - 2tsp?) of non oil-based extract, vanilla or even pure lemon juice.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 8

I use the wilton and people love my RI, I just add vanilla and almond. I would not add butter flavor, that to me is what may be giving you a wierd taste. Butter is not a flavor associated with RI

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 8

I LOVE fresh lemon and orange juice in my RI, and everyone i know loves it too, Really gives it a lovely fresh zingy flavour!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:44am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeebabe

Yes. I'm using the Wilton brand meringue. It's just awful.

Thanks. I'll try adding some flavors. How do you know if there non-oil based?

[/quote]

It should be indicated in the ingredient list of whatever you're using. If not, drop a few drops into a glass of water and see if they float? icon_confused.gif If it does, it might be oil-based as opposed to alcohol-based, etc.

Mickeebabe Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:38am
post #8 of 8

antonia74: My RI turned out dry and brittle. Especially when I did the outlines. Any idea what I could of done wrong?

Thanks for the help. My RI tasted pretty good but had nothing but problems with it. Have no idea why. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%