Sunflowers

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 11:47am by cakebaker1957

cakebaker1957 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 11

Hey Guy's been a while since ive been on here,
Heres my question what tip does everyone use to make sunflowers with?
I need to make big ones then taper off to small ones for a reheasal dinner any info would be much helpful.
thanks

10 replies
lillermom Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 11

This isn't a specific answer but any of the bigger leaf tips will work! I would just experiment with which tip fits your idea best and then for the smaller leaves pick a size smaller!

I want to say I used a 352 Ateco tip when I did sunflowers last but don't quote me!

missymayflower Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:08am
post #3 of 11

I've used a leaf tip #352 to make sunflowers. The larger wilton leaf tip #366 would be good for bigger flowers. I've made 3inch diameter sunflowers on the tops of cupcakes with a 352.

kakeladi Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:19am
post #4 of 11

For sunflowers I recommend using one of the larger Wilton leaf tips. The 352 won't give you the right look. This is one time the Wilton ones will do a better jobicon_smile.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

For sunflowers I recommend using one of the larger Wilton leaf tips. The 352 won't give you the right look. This is one time the Wilton ones will do a better jobicon_smile.gif




thank you, do you do only the large leaf or do you add smaller ones over top of those or am i thinking a ponsetta leaf?? I did one last year but cannot remember what size tip i used , aint that bad??

PuffCake Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 11

I used tip 366 on my sunflower cupcakes. It is a large leaf tip. This is what it looks like when used for petals:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1446165

I think it would look fine on a cake too. icon_smile.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you those are so cute, i like the cookie part but dont know if the customer would wonder what it would look like if you crushed the cookie up only the cookie part not the filling and put it into the middle? Then i thought about using chocolate candy melts to do the center of the flower, Oh well i will try both see which on i like(: Thanks

Getus Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 11

I used a 352 tip for the petals, just used more pressure. Also used it for the leaves..using less pressure. I used a 16 star tip and brown icing for the centers. Easy peasy.

cakebaker1957 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:46pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getus

I used a 352 tip for the petals, just used more pressure. Also used it for the leaves..using less pressure. I used a 16 star tip and brown icing for the centers. Easy peasy.




Thats really cool, the star tip , i love using it do you have a pic i can look at??

Getus Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:02pm
post #10 of 11

Sorry, I don't have a pic. But, I just clustered the brown stars really close to each other and made the center as big as I wanted it to be. Then, I layered/staggered another layer of starts on top, to give it dimension. Then, I used yellow icing and the 352 tip and made petals, then another layer of petals, staggered on top of the bottom layer. I used more pressure and made the petals fuller than I typically do when making leaves. Finally, I put some green leaves coming out from under the bottom row of petals. Seems like I usually put 3 leaves per flower. I just used less pressure and pulled the icing out more for the leaves.

cakebaker1957 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:47am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getus

Sorry, I don't have a pic. But, I just clustered the brown stars really close to each other and made the center as big as I wanted it to be. Then, I layered/staggered another layer of starts on top, to give it dimension. Then, I used yellow icing and the 352 tip and made petals, then another layer of petals, staggered on top of the bottom layer. I used more pressure and made the petals fuller than I typically do when making leaves. Finally, I put some green leaves coming out from under the bottom row of petals. Seems like I usually put 3 leaves per flower. I just used less pressure and pulled the icing out more for the leaves.




Thank you for the info, sounds good to me . this is what i will try i did one back last year put i think my centers needed to be bigger .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%