Can Someone Please Tell Me What's Wrong W/ My Roses?

Decorating By adree313 Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 3:20am by tatorchip

adree313 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 37

i made a couple of roses "the duff way" but they just don't look "right" to me. i mean, the look like roses, sure, but they don't look... "right". i don't know how to explain what i mean. what do you guys think?
LL
LL
LL

36 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 37

They look right to me. You can thin the edges a little bit between your finger and thumb if you want, but they look just exactly like Duff roses icon_biggrin.gif

SpringFlour Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 37

Maybe your fondant is just a little too thick. I tend to roll mine just a bit thinner. Also, are you using a metal cutter? The edges look like they could be a bit more crisp. The shape looks right, though. You can definitely tell that they're roses!

cupcakemkr Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 37

You're kidding...right? Those are great Duff Roses!

I've only don't it with 3 circles, how many were you using? and did you increase the circle size for the outer leaves?

THX

ctirella Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 37

what is duff roses?

adree313 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 37

i agree about the thickness and the crisper edges. i don't know what seems off to me. i wish i could pin point it. it seems like there aren't enough outside petals, maybe? i don't know. maybe i'm being too critical.

these are a lot easier to do than "non duff roses" lol. i can't master the "real" rose, yet. still working on it! but until then, duff it is!

thanks, all.

MrCake01 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 37

Hey adree313,
Iâm not sure what duff roses look like but the way I was taught in Wilton's course 3 was to use a thin foam pad and the ball end of a ball/vein tool and work middle ways out pressing down to give that wavy edge. You also may want to roll your fondant out just a little thinner and do like Texas_Rose and work between your fingers. They look very uniform and perfect but you may want to make them look more natural. No two roses are alike and working the outsides of the petal should give it a more uneven natural look.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

DeeDelightful Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 37

What exactly are Duff roses?

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:40pm
post #9 of 37

Do you have a 5 petal cutter? I saw a great tutorial on Flickr for making roses with a big 5 petal cutter (not wilton) and I'l find it for you if you want. It's really easy to master the real roses watching it!

adree313 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:40pm
post #10 of 37

oooh i never thought of actually thinning them out/make a ruffle on the edge with a ball tool. that's a technique to use when making them the "real" way (also, edna's way). so, maybe incorporating that technique with duff's technique might make a decent, more natural rose... except the easy way. i'll give it a go. thanks for the thought mrcake!

adree313 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:43pm
post #11 of 37

no, i don't have the 5 petal cutter. i just have the ones that come in the wilton kit. does wilton make one? or should i order it online?

duff roses (a.k.a. the roses that duff goldman and crew make lol): http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1149096

cupcakemkr Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:44pm
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

What exactly are Duff roses?

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1149096

or follow this thread to see more directions:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-619567-0-days0-orderasc-.html

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:55pm
post #13 of 37

I had the Wilton 5 petal cutter but you have to cut between each petal which is a pain. I bought one of those pink Jem cutters and it cuts between the petals, which makes it much faster and easier icon_biggrin.gif Here, I found the link to the tutorial: http://www.flickr.com/photos/franjmc/2927935625/ you have to scroll down a ways to find it

JenniferMI Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:56pm
post #14 of 37

Thinner fondant and thinner edges icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

adree313 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:11pm
post #15 of 37

thanks for that video! i'm going to have to order that cutter now. she made it look fairly simple.

i guess what everyone says is actually true "very thin gumpaste"... who knew? icon_biggrin.gif

thanks a lot everyone!

lillermom Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:56am
post #16 of 37

they look great and I cant wait to try this technique out!

adree313 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:15am
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

You're kidding...right? Those are great Duff Roses!

I've only don't it with 3 circles, how many were you using? and did you increase the circle size for the outer leaves?

THX

sorry, totally missed this icon_redface.gif

first, thank you! i do agree with everyone else though, i think they need to be way thinner.

i could have SWORN i used 5 circles, but i looked back at the pictures and it looks like i used more, if i'm looking at it right. i do recall going crazy after making these and just using a long chain of circles (just to see how it would look), that's why i can't remember if these are 5 or more lol. there appears to be around 8 or 9. i didn't increase the size for the outer petals, it's all the same size circle, but that would kind of make sense. i'll have to give that a go when i redo the flowers tomorrow.

newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:28am
post #18 of 37

They look like perfect Duff roses to me. His roses aren't botanically correct or realistic looking and that's why I like his. He takes some artistic license and makes them in a more funky way than a by-the-book "this is how a REAL live rose is supposed to look" kind of way.

I think your roses are fantastic!

Julie

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:28am
post #19 of 37

Why are you trying to find a job in retail when you clearly have a passion for decorating? Call around and see if you can get an internship or something in a bakery. I think that is where your nitch it.

By the way, I think your Duff rosese look just like duff roses are supposed to look. I dont think they are meant to look natural. Like ribbon roses. They are supposed to be fun and funky flowers. IMHO.

adree313 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:04am
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

Why are you trying to find a job in retail when you clearly have a passion for decorating? Call around and see if you can get an internship or something in a bakery. I think that is where your nitch it.

By the way, I think your Duff rosese look just like duff roses are supposed to look. I dont think they are meant to look natural. Like ribbon roses. They are supposed to be fun and funky flowers. IMHO.

i'm trying to gain enough confidence for a bakery job/internship. as was apparent in my retail post, it (confidence) isn't up to par yet icon_redface.gif

adree313 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:14pm
post #21 of 37

here's my second go around with these roses. i think making them thinner did the trick. i started with 5 circles in a chain (the plain white one) and then after i rolled it up, i added a few more around the outside.

the white one is my new attempt compared to the pink one which was my first attempt.

thanks for all the advice icon_smile.gif
LL

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:18pm
post #22 of 37

I actually like the orignal one better (but then again I'm a girly girl and a sucker for anything with pink glitter on it icon_biggrin.gif). A duff rose doesn't look like a real rose and it's not supposed to, that's what makes it fun. The second one looks like a lot of people's (mine included of course) beginning attempts at making realistic roses.

adree313 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:26pm
post #23 of 37

i agree (about beginning attempts of real roses), i think i need to suck it up and learn how to make realistic roses the right way. i thought i had found an easy out, but i don't think it's going to work lol. until then, whimsy roses it is! icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:28pm
post #24 of 37

Hey, duff roses are very cool, especially with pink glitter icon_biggrin.gif

When you've tried realistic roses, did you use fondant or gumpaste? It makes a difference.

kakeladi Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:42pm
post #25 of 37

Now see, your white rose is looking much bettericon_smile.gif Still play with/tweak those edges a bit more. Also it looks like your center petal wasn't as thin edged as the other ones.

adree313 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:44pm
post #26 of 37

i've only used gumpaste or 50/50 if the GP was drying too fast (resulting in cracked edges). i admit though, i don't let my centers harden up before going ahead with the petals -- no patience icon_redface.gif and i think that's one of my fundamental problems. they just become too hard (or soft?) to handle. i do need to order that JEM cutter you were telling me about and i think that will help me out, as well.

Rylan Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:51pm
post #27 of 37

Those are really nice roses. I love the color on the orginal one and the quality of the second one. I think you did GREAT!

allycatt Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 7:09pm
post #28 of 37

I think they look great. I have struggled with roses and I'm so happy to see the "Duff" way. Looks SO much easier. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the info!

adree313 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:58pm
post #29 of 37

thanks so much everyone icon_smile.gif like i said, i'll be using this technique until i can really master more realistic roses.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:28am
post #30 of 37

They're very pretty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%