Pricing Taste Testers?

Business By miranda1987 Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 2:22pm by Mencked

miranda1987 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miranda1987 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 12

Just wondering what the basic price for taste testers are. I make 4" cakes in whatever flavors they want decorated in a small version of what they want their cake to look like. I was thinking maybe 15$ ea? Is this too much for such a small cake?

11 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 12

I don't charge for tastings. But I would never decorate a cake like you're talking about either.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 12

Holy cow....no way! I do free tastings, for at least a dozen or more couples every month or so, lots of flavors of cake, frosting, fillings, fondant..etc., etc. Free, cake undecorated. They can look at past work to see what skill level they're getting.

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 12

Edited to say forget it never mind, I would never produce 4" cakes for tastings period.

miranda1987 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miranda1987 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 12

okay thanks I have never done taste testers before so I had no idea

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 12

The traditional way, not my way, but it's to keep cupcakes in individual flavors, or small 6" cakes frozen to use on demand for tastings.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 12

I do make up a 4" cake - 1 layer, torted into two layers. Then, using a trick I stole from Indy (thanks Indydebi) I use a tip 21 to squeeze icing in up and down lines onto the sides of the cake. Just flat ice the top and use the bc for the filling. Seriously, this take 6 minutes to decorate, tops.

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 12

Yeah, I guess for tasting purposes, you wouldn't have to have it perfect. I like leaving mine naked, so you can pair things up how you want.

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:48am
post #9 of 12

Iv been doing mini cupcakes iced with my filling flavors when I bring them out the brides think they are so cute if there is anyone else at the tasting I just give them a knife to cut into small pieces I have 6 different flavors. I dont do the flavors they request since what they are really looking for is to just taste my cake to give them an idea of my quality of cake and taste. I also dont charge for tastings its just a part of doing business. But they only recieve one tasting.

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:11am
post #10 of 12

I usually bake small 6" round or square single layers. I think that cupcakes tend to be drier than my cake layers. I usually plate the cake slices , plain with swirls of assorted frosting flavors that have been requested. That way they can mix and match while they sample. I do not charge for this.I just consider it part of the cake pricing. I put the samples on nice plates, serve water in wine glasses, and sit them at a tablecloth covered table with assorted wedding magazines that have wedding cake pictures. At the same time my pc is running with the slide show of cakes I have made. So far so good.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:38am
post #11 of 12

I do a torted 4" cake as well, but not decorated. I just frost it real quick. I do 4 flavors. chocolate, almond, white (cause some people swear its such a different taste) & red velvet.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:22pm
post #12 of 12

I charge $35/tasting which can then be deducted from their wedding cake total should they book me for their wedding cakes. I let them choose 2 flavors, bake single layer 6" cakes (I usually have some in the freezer), frost them with icing of their choice and that's their taste test. Absolutely nothing fancy! Some want to taste the cakes at the consultation and some just take it with them, after we've discussed a few things, and share with other family members. Works great. If they book with me--fabulous, if not, I've covered my costs. Win/Win situation!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%