Cancellation Oh My! "driving Me Crazy"

Decorating By cakesmade4u Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 3:01pm by cakesmade4u

cakesmade4u Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 12

Ok my cousin loves my cakes and brags to her friends and co-workers about them.. Well This is the second time someone has cancelled a cake on me and I had to make the fondant and bows, Ahead of time and I already printed out the pictures she wanted already, so it takes some time for this... Any way just need advice I'm thinking if they really want to have a cake I should charge them ahead of time? Any other advice??? TIA

11 replies
MikeRowesHunny Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 12

For all new customers, I make them pay a deposit (how much depends on the total cake cost), plus ALL orders over 150 euros have a deposit taken (even for return customers). Weddings are booked with 50% of the cake cost. That way, if they cancel on me and I have already spent time/money on aspects of their cake, at least I'm not out of pocket.

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 12

Everyone I know here who does cakes from home charges a deposit, even for birthday cakes, to cover something like what just happened to you.

cakesmade4u Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks I'm going to have to do a deposit of at least 1/2 the total... Luckly I didn't make the cakes. And I hope I can use the other items for another baby shower...Thanks thumbs_up.gif

SJ169 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 12

I always take a deposit for 50% of the cake, it doesnt matter what kinda of cake it is icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 12

It's time for a no-refund on deposits policy.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 12

Yep, I would never ever ever begin working on any part of a cake without having received a deposit. That way, if someone does cancel on you, and you've made stuff, oh well....your deposit should cover that and then some for your efforts.

becky27 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:08pm
post #8 of 12

you have to have a policy with new customers...a certain percentage is due upon ordering and no refunds.....good luck

cakesmade4u Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:58am
post #9 of 12

Thanks all Thats why I love it here..... thumbs_up.gif

CakeRN Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:27am
post #10 of 12

I suspect that people that order from you don't want to lose face once they know the cost of the cake....so they order and then later cancel it with out looking like dopes. Definetly get a deposit and tell them it is non refundable.

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:21am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeRN

I suspect that people that order from you don't want to lose face once they know the cost of the cake....so they order and then later cancel it with out looking like dopes. Definetly get a deposit and tell them it is non refundable.

Yup...I can see that being a reason!

cakesmade4u Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:01pm
post #12 of 12

Well the same girl who cancelled on me recommended me just a couple days after to her sister in law.. (I think she felt bad or talked to my cousin because I talked to her about it and being that they were recommended by her she must have told them something..) So I told her since her sister in law cancelled on me just a couple days ago that if she wanted to order a cake she would have to pay up front because of what happened with her sister in law.. So she completely understood...And will be paying this weekend..... Yah icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%