Makiing Fondant Shapes With Cutters

Decorating By Darthburn Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 3:44pm by DetailsByDawn

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 3

I have a question about making fondant shapes... the last time I tried they were impossible and didnt come out the way I wanted

The squares, the O's... the are so flimsy they didn't stay in shape when I picked them up and stretched so much they couldnt have been reshaped if I wished for it. Is there a way to get nice clean shapes on your cake?

I was using MMF and cut with nice new sharp metal shapes for fondant. I didn't roll it thick, but it wasnt thin either. I think it was room temp, should I refridge first?

I was also trying to do a shape in a shape, so I didnt want to layer them.

And if you are looking at this, could someone also please tell me what are and where you find those edible silver ball decorations? I used to see them in stores, but not anymore.

Thanks everyone! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 3

The silver balls are dragees. They're illegal in CA, which would be why you can't find them icon_biggrin.gif

I've never had trouble with the fondant shapes, but maybe you could knead in a little tylose to help stiffen them up, or let them dry a few minutes before you pick them up, as long as they're not going on a really curved part of the cake.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 3

Re: The dragees, if you don't need too many, you can make tiny rolled balls of fondant instead and place them into a bag of silver pearl/luster dust and shake until coated. It works great, but if you have to make a million of them, it's really time consuming.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%