What Does White Spots In Frosting Mean???

Decorating By alvarezmom Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 2:11am by indydebi

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 7

I made BC icing last night. I use the Wilton recipe. I mixed warm brown and orange to make the UT burnt orange color. All looked good....until I put the icing in the bag. It got lots of white zebra stripes-looking things.

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif Hmmmm, I thought..... Okay so I pipe the border and it has these white spots in the color...ok???? I let the icing sit about 10 minutes. When I went to touch the icing on the white spots and looked at my fingers it was the shortening that I used....

Why did this happen????? Any one know? I know I didnt over mix, or under mix. I used the same ingredients and brands.

6 replies
becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 7

u know i wish i was able to help...my frosting has been acting weird too...perhaps you didn't cream the shortening long enough...i hope someone can answer for you....

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 7

I had that happen to me once or twice, My instructor said it was shortening that hadn't been mixed well enough.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy1971

I had that happen to me once or twice, My instructor said it was shortening that hadn't been mixed well enough.

icon_surprised.gif Well that would explain it.....I bought some at the bakery I take classes at. They have it well priced and it's real good. I was thinking about swithing shortenings altogether anyway. This is just giving me the push/sign I was waiting for!

Thanks for the answer dutchy1971 (that's the same year my hubby was born)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:47am
post #5 of 7

Did you add alot of colors to it? Did it get thinned down? I know when I make red and black and am not careful I can add too much of the coloring and it will cause the icing to seperate. Now when I make dark colors I add a little cornstarch to the icing to help absorb the extra 'liquid'.

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:57am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy1971

icon_surprised.gif Well that would explain it.....I bought some at the bakery I take classes at. They have it well priced and it's real good. I was thinking about swithing shortenings altogether anyway. This is just giving me the push/sign I was waiting for!

Thanks for the answer dutchy1971 (that's the same year my hubby was born)

no no no sorry I should have explained better, it's not the actual shortening, its' that you have not mixed it in well enough. I found it noticeable in darker colours in white I couldn't see it, now I mix for an extra minute or two to make sure it's well incorporated and I have no problems now.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:11am
post #7 of 7

I always suggested tha people PULVERIZE their fat (shortening or butter) when mixing. A "batch" of icing for me uses 7 lbs of p.sugar at a time, so I add about 1-2 cups of p.sugar to the crisco/milk/vanilla/dreamwhip and run the mixer until I can't see any particles of fat at all. the stuff in the bowl looks like a silky, creamy mixture. Then I know the fat has been pulverized and I add the rest of the sugar at that point.

Pulverize it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%