Client Has Asked For A Broccoli

Decorating By mommicakes Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 3:35pm by cownsj

mommicakes Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 5

cake. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to make a cake look like either broccoli stalks, or a bunch of broccoli?

I don't want to make a sheet cake with broccoli on it, something 3D-ish would be awesome.

I think this would be a hoot.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

4 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 5

You could make it look like there were stalks going up the sides, then make the top look like a bunch of broccoli...probably use yellow-green fondant, make some parts higher than others, use a hollow plastic lollipop stick or small round tip to make impressions that look like the broccoli flowers all over it. After that, paint it with green mixed with vodka..the yellow showing through here and there would make it look more like the real thing, and the green would settle into the indentations you made, adding depth to it.

It sounds like a lot of fun!

You could put a thin strip of fondant or two around the "stalks" on the side, to be a rubber band.

majka_ze Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 5

mommicakes,

something like this http://www.topnews.in/health/files/Broccoli.jpg should be pretty easy to make - similar to the "toadstoal cakes" - put several rounds as the stalks and a bigger half-ball or ball cake on top. Carve the cakes a bit, make the details in fondant and you are done.

KHalstead Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 5

I would make it like the tree trunk cakes, only green and then put a board on top and use rice krispies for the top.......dye the rice krispies a nice dark green color and you could almost use them and be pretty close texture wise for the top of the broccoli bunch!

cownsj Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 5

Looking at the broccoli it reminded me of a cake Duff did on his show. He wanted flocking for his trees so he spread green royal icing out very thin and let it dry. After it dried he scraped it up and glued it to the trees. He also glued it on the sides of his mountains where he had cracks to make it look like moss. It looked fantastic and possibly this might be a place where you could try out that technique.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%