Arranging Gum Paste Flowers

Decorating By deetmar Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 2:44pm by luddroth

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 4

I have a big wedding coming up that has several different types of lilys, with the main flowe the calla lily. I have never done a cake topper with different flowers before, just roses. Can someone help me figure out how to arrange these? I have looked through all of my books and there is nothing on putting them together, other than wrapping the wires. I wa thinking of covering a styrofoam ball cut in 1/2, with fondant, and sticking them in that. The top layer of the cake is 10", so what size ball would I need, or is there a better way to do this.

Thanks,

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 4

I had the same problem when I was making a cake topper. It takes a lot of flowers to hide the styrofoam.

Anyhow, someone posted a link to some books the other day, and this one is about arranging gumpaste flowers: http://www.4shared.com/account/file/111868127/a2747d4d/sugar_inspiration.html

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 4

I learned to make a ball of fondant, flattened on the bottom, and then stick the wrapped wires into it to make an arrangement. The wires can be dipped in eggwhite and then into the fondant to help them stick. Start with the largest flowers and then fill in around them with smaller flowers, then filler flowers (small blossoms, etc.) then foliage, until you can't see the fondant ball underneath. You may have to prop things in place until it's all set. Then the whole arrangement can be placed on the cake, either just resting there, or secured with royal icing or eggwhite. Don't try to travel with the topper on, it should be put on when the cake is set up. It takes a LOT of filler flowers and leaves to cover everything, so make more than you think you need. HTH

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 4

There's a chocolate fondant-covered square cake in my photos with a mixed bouquet of gumpaste flowers done this way if you want to take a look...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%