Trouble With Food Writers

Decorating By cupcakelady64 Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 6:12pm by Texas_Rose

cupcakelady64 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 11

I purchased American Food Writer Pens, but I'm having trouble using them. icon_sad.gif

Even though I try to use the darker colors, even on light fondant, it doesn't show up. I've tried on soft fondant, hardened fondant, it doesn't matter. I must be using them wrong. icon_cry.gif

Any suggestions?

10 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 11

Your signature line just made me laugh out loud!

If you're writing on a piece of fondant that will not be eaten, you can use regular Crayola markers. They're non-toxic and cheap icon_biggrin.gif

cupcakelady64 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 11

Why, thank you, ma'am!

I figure, you might as well make 'em laugh, you know?

Thanks for the crayon tip, I'll be using them from now on!

Keep on cakin'!!

Mencked Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 11

Texas-rose...I would have never thought of that! Thank you so much!!

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 11

It wasn't me to start with...I think Kakeladi was who told me about it. I have tried it with the fine-point crayola markers and it works well...practice on a spare piece first because fondant is wiggly when you try to write on it.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for passing on the crayola marker tip - it would have saved me a lot of time last night as I was writing happy birthday on a plaque - I had to keep going over it!!!!!! I definitely will pass this tip on to others as you did for us!

AnitaK Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 11

How can you be absolutely sure that your fondant is not going to be eaten? I'd be very cautious.

cupcakelady64 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:59pm
post #8 of 11

I would imagine you can just tell the customer and they would just take it off before they serve it.

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 11

As the mother of a child who licks her markers when she's thinking really hard, I can tell you that Crayola is good at making them non-toxic icon_biggrin.gif

There are some things that just are not in a million years going to be eaten anyhow...gumpaste shoe, anything on wires, etc...

cupcakelady64 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:06pm
post #10 of 11

Hey, Texas,

my sister is in your city for a mini vacation. how's the weather over there??

Hoping she gets to enjoy herself and not burn to a crisp! lol

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:12pm
post #11 of 11

Well, it's only 91 right now, not as hot as it's been lately. I hope your sister enjoys her vacation icon_biggrin.gif I wish I could get out of San Antonio, so it seems weird to me that people actually come here for fun, but I know lots of them do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%