Stacking And Delivery

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 5:41pm by Mencked

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 11

Just curious how most of you deliver your tiered cakes.....completely assembed or stacked on site.

I deliver up to 4 tiers assembled.....if more than 4 I usually do two sections and do finally assembly on site. I also usually do most of my GP flower on site....depends alot on the roads I have to travel for delivery.

10 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 11

I like to take them assembled and then do any minor decorations on-site. I don't really do a lot of flowers. If I did, I think I would want to put those on at the site.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 11

travel separate - assemble on site...I use plastic risers and plates and really can dowel the entire cake to hold it in place for travel. And some of the roads I've been on.....oh my I even cringe when traveling separate......beautiful venue's though...well worth the slow and easy approach.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 11

Depends on the design and how big it is. I *HAVE* carried a 5-tier, fully assembled, fondant covered cake by myself before.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 11

I travel with them separate since my "disaster" (4 tier cake disintegrated after drive to venue)........and stack on site........just keeps my nerves down during the drive, then I just allow myself plenty of time to stack and pipe borders or add ribbon and fowers if necessary!

terrylee, I cringe while traveling with them separately too sometimes icon_wink.gif Ohio winters = potholes!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 11

I always try to deliver them already stacked and assembled...SPS!!!! Total peace of mind when I use that support system even though I travel over horrible rural OK roads and usually from 45 minutes to an hour for delivery . It also helps that I have my DH (has named himself cakeboy) to carry the monster cakes!

cakesrpretty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrpretty Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 11

I have a 10", 12", 14" square to deliver on Saturday, not sure if I should deliver assembled or not. I am concerned on how my bf will pick that sucker up...lol
Has anyone ever delivered this size cake assembled? I know it will be heavy but will he be able to lift it and carry it in?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:55pm
post #8 of 11

that will be a VERY heavy cake!! Make sure you have a good sturdy wooden board under it and for the sake of your bf put some feet under there so he can get his hands under that big boy! : )

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 11

i have a strong husband. but carrying a 8-10-12.. already stacked.. just about got him... filling..etc.. HEAVY... i wont, do that to him again..ha!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:46pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

It also helps that I have my DH (has named himself cakeboy) to carry the monster cakes!

icon_lol.gif LOL! That's too funny!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:41pm
post #11 of 11

The largest cake we've ever delivered already assembled were the bottom 4 tiers of this monster http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1272309 It took both me and cakeboy to lift the thing and then I added the top 2 tiers on-site. That sucker was heavy. Then recently cakeboy carried in a 4 tier by himself 6/9/12/16. He said it's not the weight so much but the height that makes it tough, and maybe the fact that I'm standing in the back wringing my hands and saying things like, "MAKE SURE IT'S LEVEL!!" and "BE SURE IT'S IN THE CENTER.....MORE TO THE LEFT.....NO THE RIGHT........NO.... makes him more reluctant?!?!?!?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%