Yet Another Opinions Wanted On A Name

Business By Lisa540 Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 9:34pm by Doug

Lisa540 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa540 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 24

I am needing some much needed help with my soon to be cake shop.

One that I have liked because of the meaning is "Laundry Room Bakery"
The reasoning for it is that when I was younger we went to my grandmas every weekend. She always had 50+ people over for Sunday lunch. My job was to always decorate the cake she would make for the birthdays that were being celebrated that weekend. I would be sent to her laundry room so nobody would be able to see. I spent many many hours in there. We did this for years and years. That is where my love of cake decorating was born!

So you can see how I love the meaning but I am not sure how it would translate.

Thoughts??

23 replies
tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 24

Hmmm, for me personally, unless I heard the story behind it, I'd think it was a strange name for a bakery, kinda unappetizing too. To me, when I first read the name, I thought, "baking in a laundry room?" You won't be able to tell every customer the story behind the name, and while it's good story, not everyone will understand the meaning behind it and might be put off by the name. That's just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you decide and good luck on your new business!!!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 24

Are you going to be a cake shop or a bakery?

If you are opening a full service bakery I could envision a "Laundry Room Bakery" being a real kitschy and fun place. Get the story out there on your website and even a nice hanging on the wall. Do you happen to have a photo of yourself as a child in the laundry doing a cake? I can see vintage aprons hanging on the wall via clothes line and pins. Maybe some washboard wall art.

I really can't see it translating well with a appointment only type cake shop. I think you'd need a name that will entice people to come to you. A laundry room, at least MY laundry room lol, doesn't do that.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 24

Your business name will be the first impression you make on people.

The story is really cute, but the name isn't too appealing...when I hear "Laundry Room" I think of lint and soap, not yummy things.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 24

What maryjsgirl said.... totally agree. If it's a real shop and decorated with the theme, great. Otherwise, I don't think so.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 24

That is very close to the French Laundry restaurant.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 24

I'm with mini. The first thing thought of was The French Laundry. And that name certainly worked well for them. Of course the building used to be a laundry. I'd be tempted by The Cake Laundry and make sure to feature your story prominently on your website.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 24

If you are going with the laundry theme I like Leah's "the Cake Laundry" best along with getting the background story out there - however the first thought that came to mind was ... is this where I go to wash the cake I just dropped on the floor?..... sorry.... not enough caffeine in the world this morning....

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 24

I agree. Unless people knew the story behind the name, it really doesn't sound too appetizing. And if someone is just looking in the yellow pages under Bakery, that's all they would see is the name. What about something like "Back Room Bakery" or Secret Room Bakery?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:50pm
post #10 of 24

I really do think The Cake Laundry is one of those names that will stick in people's minds because it's so unusual. I can see lots of market/branding materials that would be totally cute. Receipts for customers that look like laundry tickets, menus that are laundry lists, a laundry bag "tote bag". There are millions of things.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 24

oooh, "Back Room Bakery" kinda sounds like a speakeasy - very cool and would sound great when you're answering the phone. Nice alliteration.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:03pm
post #12 of 24

I agree wth pp - the idea of cake and laundry together is kinda unappealing, although I also love the story behind it. It makes me think of bits of lint in my icing!

What about Sunlight Bakery, or some other name which includes a brand of detergent? That would be a little more subtle, but you'd know what it meant...

I also like the Back Room Bakery. Does the word 'scullery' mean anything in the US? In Britain it's an old-fashioned name for a room off the kitchen, part laundry room, part dishwashing room. The Scullery. Maybe not, it's not a very pretty word... I'll keep thinking...

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:06pm
post #13 of 24

I like 'The Cake Laundry' best so far and it still goes with your childhood memory and is very unique.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:07pm
post #14 of 24

I agree with the previous posters...sorry. It makes me think that you're using the laundry room to bake your cakes. But, your real story is cute. If you had a cafe or a bakery, someone could see beyond the literal meaning of the words but if it's a home-based business, it doesn't sound appetizing.
p.s. I used to go to a place called the Chinese Laundry Cafe and it was an old laudromat/drycleaners converted to a bakery and was very popular.

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:21pm
post #15 of 24

How about Grandma's Cakes.

Williamus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Williamus Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:40pm
post #16 of 24

I like "The Laundry Room" Rather than "The Laundry Room Bakery"
The "French Laundry" Isn't called "The French Laundry Restaurant"...and well...we all know about it's success (Try...just try to get a reservation).

The Laundry Room sounds very Kitschy, 1955, chic.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:59pm
post #17 of 24

If you like the Laundry Room name, maybe something like Laundry Room Sweets? I don't know, but to me, that sounds better than Laundry Room Bakery.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:17pm
post #18 of 24

I vote for The Cake Laundry! But definitely put the story in a prominent place on your website, so that people will understand the name.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 7:18am
post #19 of 24

How about Cake Wash?

MrsSoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsSoul Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 11:23am
post #20 of 24

no I would not want anything from laundry room bakery, it makes me think of soap and dirty socks, but how about Grandms'a Kitchen Konfections?

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:19pm
post #21 of 24

I LOVE that you have that memory of your grandma, but really dont think having the word laundry in your shop name is appealing. It's not something that can have several meanings - it is just the place where you launder your dirty clothes!

What about Grandma's Secret Bakery or Generation Cake!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 8:37pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCathcart

How about Grandma's Cakes.

Expanding on this one a bit, what about "Grandma [name]'s Bakery", in honour of your grandmother? (Or "Cakery", instead of "Bakery".) You could include a pic of you and your G'ma, in the laundry room with a cake, or presenting one, something along those lines.

2SimplySweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SimplySweet Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 9:19pm
post #23 of 24

How about The Basement Bakery?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 9:34pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

How about Cake Wash?

definite possibilities....

we do wash our cakes in syrups to give them flavor after all.

and we do hope to wash away the competition

as well as wash away your doubts about the quality

-----

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%