What Kind Of Board To Use Under 3 Tier Cake?

Decorating By hollyscakes Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 10:45pm by MalibuBakinBarbie

hollyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyscakes Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 12

i'm not sure what kind of board to use under a 3 tier cake. Any help?

11 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 12

Hi, I always use 1/2" thik cake drums (that's what we call in the UK) I think Country kitchen sweetart sell them. icon_smile.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 12

Wilton makes a decorative 1/2 inch drum/board --they sell in Michaels two to a box. They are silver foil covered. As well, many cake decorating specialty stores sell them. I love getting them at Michaels because I can use a coupon! If your cake is square, you can use 1/2 foam board (well... you can use that if it is a circle as well, you just have to have a really good saw to make the edges smooth.)

HTH

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 12

I use the thick foam board to make my own.
If you use a sharp xacto knife you won't have any problems cutting it.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 12

Two tiers and under, a Wilton board...three tiers and over, a real drum, much more stable.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 12

I use MDF or just place it directly to a pedestal cake stand.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyscakes

i'm not sure what kind of board to use under a 3 tier cake. Any help?

The best I've found are from a company called Logicpic. They are 1/2 inch thick foam core with an FDA approved grease and waterproof coating. They are extremely sturdy and will not flex. You can glue a ribbon around the edge if you want and they make them in practically any shape and size you could ask for.

They also sell foamcore boards in thinner sizes to use between tiers in stacked cakes, as well as a neat support system....when it first came out they asked me to try it and write up an evaluation.....it is still on their website.

Check out their site at w w w . l o g i c p i c . c o m [remove spaces between letters]

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Wilton makes a decorative 1/2 inch drum/board --they sell in Michaels two to a box. They are silver foil covered. As well, many cake decorating specialty stores sell them. I love getting them at Michaels because I can use a coupon! If your cake is square, you can use 1/2 foam board (well... you can use that if it is a circle as well, you just have to have a really good saw to make the edges smooth.)

HTH

I tried the Wilton boards and found they flexed too much for my taste.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 12

debluvs2bake had a pretty stand that she made from a pine circle and finials, or draw pulls, from the hardware store. I just pick up the supplies this morning to make one. Lowe's has a 15" circle for under 7.00. With pulls, screws, and a can of paint, it came it right at 15.00.
Gotta get fondant on the cake so I can get out the drill!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

HTH

Exactly. That's why I don't trust them for anything over a small two tier cake.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

HTH

Exactly. That's why I don't trust them for anything over a small two tier cake.

As usual, this is a question that will have many answers. I've, more than once, put upwards of 60 lbs, of cake on a Wilton and never had a mishap.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:45pm
post #12 of 12

I use pre-cut masonite boards and cover them with RI, fondant or foil. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%