Colouring Fondant

Decorating By Wingit Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 6:13pm by kello

Wingit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wingit Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there am newbie to this site and I'm loving it.... so I'm hoping i have posted this in the right place. Anyhow i'll get to it!

When I colour my fondant at the time it looks as though I have the achieved the right colour. But then as it sets it looks a lighter powdery colour.

I am eager to hear people's thoughts on this!

thanks.....: )

6 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 7

probably need to try a different brand of colouring, some are more prone to fading than others.
xx

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 7

pinks and purples (from Wilton anyway) are known to lighten in colour if left out in a bright spot (sunny location) Keep them in the dark until ready to use. I haven't had a problem yet with the Americolor.

Alaskahsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alaskahsm Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 7

Sorry Hijacking your thread, but it is a question about color. How much Americolor black does it take to make black black fondant?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskahsm

Sorry Hijacking your thread, but it is a question about color. How much Americolor black does it take to make black black fondant?

I'm not sure how much I've used but I have the 4.5 oz bottle and it has covered about 15 pounds of white fondant. I still have a quarter of the bottle left.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskahsm

The whole bottle icon_wink.gif Seriously, it takes a lot and I much prefer to buy my black and my red pre-colored. I color everything else, but those two colors are tough to achieve and require a lot of dye.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 7

I always make chocolate fondant and then add the black.....don't have to add as much and it's yummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%