Can I Get Away With 3 Dowels?

Decorating By sugarandslice Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 1:16am by tonedna

sugarandslice Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:24am
post #1 of 6

I'm in the process of making my first ever tiered cake. It's 9" and 6" chocolate mud cake and will be covered in fondant with fondant decorations (I only mention it because I know fondant is heavy)

My dilemma is I've only got 3 dowels. Will this be enough? I'm assembling tomorrow so I do have time to get to the shop for more (but it'll be a bit rush) if it's absolutely necessary but if I can get away with only 3 dowels that'd be great.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Emma

5 replies
CakeWhizz Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:39am
post #2 of 6

Ideally, depending on the size of the dowels of course, you will need about 4 dowels. If you have some drinking straws to hand (the big fat bubble tea straws, ideally), you could use those instead.

What you could also do is to assemble on site, as the less movement there is of a tiered cake the better. Good luck!

Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:52am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcm51

I'm in the process of making my first ever tiered cake. It's 9" and 6" chocolate mud cake and will be covered in fondant with fondant decorations (I only mention it because I know fondant is heavy)

My dilemma is I've only got 3 dowels. Will this be enough? I'm assembling tomorrow so I do have time to get to the shop for more (but it'll be a bit rush) if it's absolutely necessary but if I can get away with only 3 dowels that'd be great.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Emma

Three should support a 6 inch just fine though....will the cake have to travel? My only concern would be the lack of a central dowel all the way through to keep it all stabilized....but if handled carefully, it should do fine.

BabyC1985 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 6

I agree, three evenly placed should be ok if its handled carfully.
Good luck

FlourPots Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:04am
post #5 of 6

My very first fondant, tiered cake, 8" & 6" (3 layers in each) tilted en route to my sister's house 15 - 20 minutes away. It leaned to one side the whole evening and wrinkled the fondant badly.

I only used 3 dowels, a triangle pattern basically. Never again.

tonedna Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:16am
post #6 of 6

I wouldn't trust it..Use some straws at least..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%