Wizard Of Oz Baby Shower Cake

Decorating By Angfastic Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 6:06pm by Angfastic

Angfastic Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:08am
post #1 of 23

I have a friend whose theme for the baby's room is Wizard of Oz. I need some ideas for the baby shower cake. I'm thinking of a 2 tier cake, green with a yellow brick road going up the side. Maybe a red shoe with a baby in it or a rainbow with a baby under it??

Any suggestions??

TIA

22 replies
juliebold Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:12am
post #2 of 23

I did a wizard of oz cake very similar to what you described. It is in my pix. Instead of red poppies put pink or blue flowers.

Angfastic Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:16am
post #3 of 23

Thanks your cake is cute and the shoes awesome. Where did you get the characters?

ski Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:17am
post #4 of 23

I would find out which character(s) she really loves from the movie, then make your cake with that character as the main part. You can always add anything baby to the mix.

jammjenks Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:17am
post #5 of 23

My first thought was having a baby peeking out of Toto's basket somehow.

juliebold Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:19am
post #6 of 23

I actually got the figures on ebay. They were really cheap, i think i paid $2 for all of them. I really like jammjenks idea of the basket.

Angfastic Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:29am
post #7 of 23

I love the idea of the baby in the basket too. Thanks jammjenks. I'm going to be in Vegas the 6th - 10th and the shower is the 12th. I'm trying to get a design in place so I can just knock it out Friday.

rharris524 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:36am
post #8 of 23

I was thinking of doing the yellow brick road going up past all of the main scenes and then having ruby baby shoes on the top.

jammjenks Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:20pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris524

I was thinking of doing the yellow brick road going up past all of the main scenes and then having ruby baby shoes on the top.

Just the thought of ruby baby booties made me gasp. Whatever you decide, you can not go wrong by adding these somewhere.

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 23

I would add the witch's feet sticking out from the very bottom of the cake...maybe in the back or somewhere unobtrusive, just little ones, but if the parents are big enough fans of the Wizard of Oz to decorate their baby's room with it, then I bet they'd get a big kick out of having the witch's feet on there icon_biggrin.gif

blu_canary Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:54pm
post #11 of 23

If it was worth the extra work to you, I would be tempted to sculpt the characters in baby form. How cute would a baby cowardly lion be?

But the ruby baby shoes is a brilliant idea!

Angfastic Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:03pm
post #12 of 23

If only I was good at sculpting. I definitely want to have the ruby slippers. Not sure if I could make them myself or not. I may try making some items this Saturday before I leave. If I totally suck then I'll search the internet for stuff to buy.

sugarsugargal Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:34pm
post #13 of 23

my thoughts exactly . . .baby Ruby slippers . . i love the movie too, and named my daughter Ruby icon_smile.gif

jonahsmom Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:45pm
post #14 of 23

My first thought was ruby baby shoes, too!!! Great minds think alike!

CakeMakar Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:59pm
post #15 of 23

Ruby baby slippers would be so cute!
I have a pattern (I think!) if you need one...
I got a great idea from Grammasue on here to make sparkly ruby slippers. You make the gumpaste shoes & allow them to dry. Then paint them with piping gel. Then sprinkle them with red sanding sugar. I also made the gumpaste red, and resprayed them red afterwards (with the Wilton Red Airspray) just to make them more red. They came out great & the customer even saved them in a shadowbox after they came off the cake!

Angfastic Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:17pm
post #16 of 23

Please send me the pattern for the shoes if you still have it. Thanks!

CakeMakar Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:34pm
post #17 of 23

The sugar covers up any boo boos so the shoes don't have to be perfect. icon_biggrin.gif

The pattern and directions are on Sugarshack's blog:
http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-make-baby-booties.html

cupcakelady64 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:44pm
post #18 of 23

The witch's feet under the bottom is hilarious!!! Cute, Texas_Rose! Us Texans gotta stick together!!!

jammjenks Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:08am
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakelady64

The witch's feet under the bottom is hilarious!!!

Like this?
LL

Parable Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:17am
post #21 of 23

I have to agree the witches feet sticking out at the bottom would be great....but what do I know? icon_wink.gif

Angfastic Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:55am
post #22 of 23

Ah, the cake is so cute! I was thinking I needed to do a 2 tier, but I like the look of this one tier.

Thanks folks!

Angfastic Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:06pm
post #23 of 23

Here is the link to my cake. I was so tired when I got back from Vegas and waited until the last minute to start the cake. I got up at 8:30 sat morning and had to put on the grass, make the brick pattern and make the shoes, flowers, witch legs and rainbow. I'm suprised I got it done. I decided to add toothpicks to the end of the rainbow and added more gumpaste to cover them. Needless to say that didn't really work and my rainbow ended up being a lot shorter.
Thanks for the suggestions.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1459994

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%