Fondant Too Soft?? Help Never Made A Fondant Cake Before

Decorating By princesscatt Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 6:04pm by princesscatt

princesscatt Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:06am
post #1 of 8

OK, making a 3 tiered red velvet with buttercream/cream cheese icing. I practiced a cake using wilton fondant and it was ok, I ordered satin ice for this cake. I started rolling out the fondant and it was very very soft, i put it on the cake and there were air bubbles and it was almost pulling off the cake?? Maybe the icing was not hard enough? I put the cakes back in the fridge and will let them stay for a few hours before trying again?? what is the best way to get a smooth finish on the cake using fondant?

7 replies
MrsNancyB1 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:09am
post #2 of 8

When you rolled it out did you use Crisco or Powdered Sugar/Corn Starch?

If you used Crisco that may be why it's so soft. I would knead a little bit of Powdered Sugar into your fondant to see if that helps.

cs_confections Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:16am
post #3 of 8

When I overwork mine, it gets to soft. I wrap it up and put it in the fridge for a little while until it firms us, then knead to soften as needed and roll.

princesscatt Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 12:04pm
post #4 of 8

It was actually pretty soft when I took it out of the container..maybe I should refrigerate it for a little before I roll it out. I did use some powdered sugar but was afraid to use too much b/c with the Wilton fondant it dried it up.

Rylan Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 8

Also, take note that sometimes you just get the bad batch. I've had soft ones and really firm ones out of the tub.

princesscatt Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 8

Now it's looking like elephant skin on the cake!! WTH...the cake is for tomorrow and I don't really like the Wilton stuff. I did two tiers and put them back in the fridge...hoping that maybe I can smooth them down when they are cold...maybe b/c the cake was cold and the fondant was warm they are reacting against one another??

suzyq0204 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 8

I know I have had problems with my fondant not sticking to the sides of the cake if my buttercream crusted. So, I spray a very small amount of water on the BC before I put the fondant on it. Maybe your BC has dried being in the refrigerator and that's why the fondant is not sticking to it??

princesscatt Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 8

I thought the BC had to dry completely before putting the fondant on? the fondant did stick...just got a very weird elephant skin look to it, like it's stretched out or something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%