No Pattern Paper Towel In Canada?

Decorating By Limpy Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 12:45am by sweetcravings

Limpy Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:59am
post #1 of 15

O.K. SO Viva is not available in Canada & I want to smooth buttercream. Any Canucks know a brand that can be used for this?

14 replies
seeshores Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:53am
post #2 of 15

I went to the States and bought some viva....there is no paper towel in Canada that feels like this paper towel let alone have no pattern so I think there is nothing like it here.

xstitcher Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:52am
post #3 of 15

Never did find anything in Alberta for it either. My suggestion is to use either of the following and you should get the same basic results:

1) clean computer paper
2) parchment paper
3) waxed paper

HTH! icon_smile.gif

cakesondemand Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 15

We use interfacing from walmart not stiff or to thin works better then viva

AverageMom Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:46am
post #5 of 15

I've been using parchment paper. Although, some of the patterned paper towels leave cool impressions on the cake!

phoufer Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:51am
post #6 of 15

Go to canadian tire, they sell blue shop towels, that is what I use, they are the same as viva.

xstitcher Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:05am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoufer

Go to canadian tire, they sell blue shop towels, that is what I use, they are the same as viva.

Are these what you use? If so you may want to take a look at the article. I'm assuming it's in the same category as contact paper. Some use it some don't. Now definite answer but I always like how the write it to cover their bu*ts! icon_lol.gif

http://www.costcob.com/Scott%20blue%20shop%20towels%20on%20a%20roll%20from%20Costco

grandmom Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 8:58am
post #8 of 15

The other day I ran out of Viva and was desperate, so I hit the sewing room looking for something to use. I found medium weight nonwoven interfacing (I buy it by the bolt). It was not the iron-on kind, so it didn't have those little flecks of adhesive. It worked much better than paper towels. It did not even try to stick once and was even smoother than Viva! Even if you don't sew you can pick some up from a fabric store.

I know, I know... someone will wonder if it's food safe. I appreciate the concern about that, but as some other poster noted on the topic of food safe products, that computer paper all the Sugarshackers use probably isn't listed as food safe either. Please don't take me wrong - I'm not totally disregarding the concern, just figure the contact is so brief...

G_Cakes Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:14am
post #9 of 15

I use parchment paper, Dollarama sells them in precut sheets 12 x $1.00 I find that it works perfectly for me.

I also read on here (cant remember who) that someone uses a soft small foam roller and swears by it (also sold at sdollarama) but I havent tried it yet.

HTH icon_smile.gif

tracey1970 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 1:09am
post #10 of 15

I use the Melvira method found here on CC. That eliminates the need for paper towel and works like a charm!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:13am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzy

I use parchment paper, Dollarama sells them in precut sheets 12 x $1.00 I find that it works perfectly for me.

I also read on here (cant remember who) that someone uses a soft small foam roller and swears by it (also sold at sdollarama) but I havent tried it yet.

HTH icon_smile.gif

I read something like that, too, but I remember the person as saying that you had to make sure it was the lint free kind (some foam can release bits, too). Maybe give it a wash and lightly run your hand over it to release any bits.

I used a Jay Cloth in a pinch the other day. Left a very light impression, but still looked better than the uneven BC I usually get.

Tracey1970 - Can you point us in the right direction for the "Melvira method"? I don't recall that one. Thanks.

xstitcher Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 7:23am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzy

HTH icon_smile.gif

I read something like that, too, but I remember the person as saying that you had to make sure it was the lint free kind (some foam can release bits, too). Maybe give it a wash and lightly run your hand over it to release any bits.

I used a Jay Cloth in a pinch the other day. Left a very light impression, but still looked better than the uneven BC I usually get.

Tracey1970 - Can you point us in the right direction for the "Melvira method"? I don't recall that one. Thanks.

Here you go:

http://cakecentral.com/articles/126/quick-easy-smooth-icing-using-a-roller-melvira-method

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:13pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks, xstitcher. I remember reading that now.

And here's something that I think should be highlighted from it:

To complete this method you will need to purchase a high-density foam roller at your local hardware or paint supply store.

Most discount stores do not carry the high-density foam, please insure that you purchase the high-density foam roller refill heads or you will be left with a âspackle-likeâ texture on your icing.

tracey1970 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 11:51pm
post #14 of 15

I buy my high-density rollers at Canadian Tire, so they are super easy to come by. There's a Canadian Tire almost everywhere, right? (lol)

sweetcravings Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:45am
post #15 of 15

I've not been able to find pattern free paper towels anywhere in and around my area and believe me i have looked everywhere. I will often stock up on viva when i make a trip stateside.
I have used interfacing in the past and it works well too. The only problem i had with that is that it is often sold in open areas of the sewing section. They are probably full of dust etc..That's why i like the paper towels. They are sealed in their pkg until you open it. ;0)

Phoufer..glad to see you around here again. ;0) Doing many cakes lately?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%