Camo Icing

Decorating By Jessica1817 Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 1:54am by alene

Jessica1817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica1817 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:18am
post #1 of 6

I have to do a grooms cake--army helmet--with camo icing. Any tips on the camp? Buttercream or fondant? TIA!!

5 replies
juliebold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliebold Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:39am
post #2 of 6

I did a 2 tiered cake in fondant with a fondant bow on top. I then airbrushed it to look like camo. Came out really nice. The only advise is go easy on the airbrush so you don't get runs in the dye.

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:41am
post #3 of 6

I've actually made camo with both fondant and bc. I used fondant on an army helmet and bc on a hunting camo cake. I found that the bc was easier but it may be because it was on a sheet cake. I myself would stick with the fondant on the helmet but that's just me.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:45am
post #4 of 6

I did buttercream camo, I just used a round tip in the different colors and squeezed it in the shapes that I wanted it. Then I used a paper towel to smooth it all out together.

Jessica1817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica1817 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:49am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the tips! How would I best do fondant camo without an airbrush?

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:54am
post #6 of 6

The way I made my fondant camo is, I rolled out a thin layer of fondant enough to cover the helmet, the lighter brown color and then went back and put the darker pieces on top. Pressed it into the lighter color with the rolling pin before placing on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%