Torting A 12 X 18 Sheet..

Decorating By HeatherWantsCake Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 9:48pm by FullHouse

HeatherWantsCake Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 12:54am
post #1 of 6

Tips? Tricks? Someone who wants to come over and do this for me?? icon_rolleyes.gif

I've made two single layer cakes this size before, have cut through them without any trouble, but when it comes to lifting the top off and/or putting it back on, it's broken both times. It hasn't really mattered because they've been outdoor "scene" cakes and a bit of lumpy ground hasn't mattered, but it's driving me nuts!!!

I always chill my cakes overnight before trying to torte them and I've managed to get them cut pretty much in the middle, so it's not that the top layer is paper thin or anything ... they just break.

I've just taken another 12 x 18 out of the oven and am considering not torting it, rather than fighting with it tomorrow. I'll feel bad, though. icon_sad.gif

So, any suggestions? (I don't have a cake lifter, nor the ready cash to get one in time...)

5 replies
Doug Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:00am
post #2 of 6

a large lip-less cookie sheet dusted with powdered sugar does the trick for me!

cut it.

slip sheet in -- off comes the top

fill ---

position so can slide top off with edges matching

gently push on layer as you pull out the sheet (hold sheet at very low angle to cake so its just above the filling.

viola!

Molly2 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:07am
post #3 of 6

I always cut mine in half and just match up were I cute and fill in my split with frosting with a small tip works great for me

Molly icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:07am
post #4 of 6

slightly frozen cakes are easy to handle, too.

HeatherWantsCake Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks, all!

Doug, I didn't have a lip-less cookie sheet, but a pizza pan did the trick and I have just torted a 12 x18 without breaking it!! icon_biggrin.gif

(I did put it back on crooked, and then broke a 9 x 13 clear in half, but that's beside the point. icon_lol.gif )

FullHouse Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 6

If you don't have a cookie sheet large enough, you can also use a cake board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%