Need Candy Diamonds, Can't Find Them!

Decorating By Chef_Stef Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 7:34pm by Chef_Stef

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 20

I knew about Jewels of Denial, but they're closed, and I need edible crystals for a cake in a couples of weeks.

It seems like I've seen them somewhere else, but I can't find them anywhere now.

Anyone know where to find clear, edible crystals or diamonds??

thanks!

19 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 20

Here ya go: http://www.fancyflours.com/Detailed%20Embellishments/Cake%20Jewels

I hope you like them more than I did. The clear ones basically 'disappeared' once they were put on the cake.

I used them on the Denim and Diamonds cake in my photos. Those horrid little blobs of blue blecch are actually the clear jewels.

There are clear jewels all over the bottom tier. You can't see them in the pic, and you couldn't see them in person either.

They are shaped like a diamond would go into a setting - with a pointed bottom, rather than a flat bottom. Great for a jeweler, not so great for cake decorating.

All that said, they look FANTASTIC scattered over a colored cake board.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 20

What about trying a candy store they might sell something pretty close to that. I have seen a couple on line, that sell that "retro" candies and such. Just a thought.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 20

Have you thought of getting the molds and making them yourself? I know they sell them on GSA...

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 20

Here you go - check this out, he sells them, and he posts on here too.(in the blown/pulled sugar section)

http://www.kincaellan.com/

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 20
jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 20

Foundantsource.com have them.

http://www. fondantsource .com/sugardiamonds.html

Nevermind, they aren't shipping them right now because of the heat. Sorry

Loucinda Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:49pm
post #8 of 20

I just made some jewels last night. I bought the food safe silicone stuff at Michaels (in the clay section) and a package of plastic fake jewels (in the bead section) Came home and made the molds - then used isomalt to fill them. I now have candy jewels..... icon_biggrin.gif

(used a coupon for the silicone stuff - so less than $20 for everything, and I have enough to make about a thousand little jewels here I think with a lb. package of isomalt)

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:54pm
post #9 of 20

I also make the molds. This way I get exactly what I want.

I also make them so that they have a flat back on them, making them easier to adhere to the cake.

Attaching a pic so you can see an example of what they look like.

P.S. If interested, they are going up on ebay on Monday.
LL

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:57pm
post #10 of 20

Gloria, those are AWESOME!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:01pm
post #11 of 20

what exactlly is isomalt?? Does it still taste like candy?

Loucinda Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:32pm
post #12 of 20

Gloria - that is exactly what I did! My silicone stuff is yellow though. (I have some of the blue from makeyourownmolds though too) I used those same plastic jewels to do mine. I also used vinyl gloves and cleaned the jewel part with some alcohol so there wouldn't be any fingerprints in the silicone when I made the molds. Super easy, took less than an hour from start to finished jewels!

Taste?? I haven't eaten one to see how it tastes. I know Isomalt is abasically a version of Splenda - so I won't get my hopes up on it being really tasty stuff.

Loucinda Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:34pm
post #13 of 20

OK in the interest of CC - I just tasted one. Not bad at all. Tastes like sugar to me. icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:50pm
post #14 of 20

Here is the mold I made - the colored jems are the plastic ones I used to make the molds, and the clear ones at the bottom are the ones made with isomalt. (and there is an "aftertaste" to the isomalt - not too bad - they are defiantely edible)

Gloria - are those the jems you made with the mold or are those the plastic ones you used to MAKE the mold?
LL

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:52pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

OK in the interest of CC - I just tasted one. Not bad at all. Tastes like sugar to me. icon_biggrin.gif

*LOL* Way to take one for the team!

I have got to start making my own molds. That looks so cool!

starcitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starcitycakes Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:54pm
post #16 of 20

would this work if I put fondant in the mold instead of isomalt? Just wondering..

Loucinda Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:58pm
post #17 of 20

The molds are good for about any product - chocolate, fondant, gumpaste, isomalt, poured sugar - whatever you want! I make sure mine are dedicated for food purpose only.

After comparing the two - the makeyourownmolds stuff seems like a "smoother" finsih (for lack of a better explanation) but for quick and easy - the stuff from Michaels is fine.

Edited to add: I also took a hint from Leah - and wiped the gems down with some vegetable oil - makes them look shinier.

samiam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samiam22 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:59pm
post #18 of 20

Loucinda,
Can you colour the isomalt with any food colours as well? I love your idea and was finally able to get some isomalt for the first time yesterday. Is it easy to use?? How long does it take to set up? TIA

Loucinda Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 12:50am
post #19 of 20

Yes, you can color it. BE VERY CAREFUL - it is like molten lava - HOT. I used some that was pre done - in a lump from Kathy Scott. I just nuked it in the microwave 15 seconds at a time until it was melted.

For the jewels I made it set up in about 10 minutes? Not long at all.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:34pm
post #20 of 20

Hi All,

I found them at http://www.shop.diamondpartyconfetti.com/main.sc

just fyi--

thanks for all the tips though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%