Quick Question About Ganache

Baking By delilahmarie Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 4:23am by SomethingSweetbyJ

delilahmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delilahmarie Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a cake and I want to put white chocolate ganache between the layers. I've never made ganache before and I've seen quite a few different recipes for it all over the internet. Some say to refrigerate it after making it and then whipping it for filling. Others say don't put it in the fridge, just let it sit covered until it sets up. Some say let it set for 24 hours, some say just a few hours. I'm going to be using just white chocolate and heavy cream (and maybe butter if someone tells me it'll make the ganache better, lol). I'd love any tips or hints or even a link to the recipe you guys have used and loved. Thanks in advance. I'm bringing this cake as a gift to my uncle and I want it to be as yummy as I can make it.

2 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 3

I guess it really depends on how soon you are using it. I will put mine in the fridg and let it set up then pull it out and whip it up. That helps speed the process. If you are not needing it right away, then you could let it sit out. You are just trying to get it to a consistency that is spreadable and not pourable....

SomethingSweetbyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SomethingSweetbyJ Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:23am
post #3 of 3

I have found that I like to make it a day in advance, cover it completly (press the plastic wrap right on the top) and allow it to set overnight. The standard recipe for ganache is equal parts cream and chocolate, but for the white chocolate I deduct up to 25 percent of the cream. For some reason it does not want to set as nicely as dark chocolate. Let me know what method you use, I have never whipped it up, but if it works I am willing to give it a try! Here is another tip: I sometimes add a dash of corn syrup (or any invert sugar) for added shine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%